Leveraging Technology and Data to Drive Decisions
The application of Geographic Information Science (GIS) technologies has evolved significantly over the course of time and has a far-reaching impact across industries—everything from emergency response to marketing.
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota’s Graduate Certificate in Geographic Information Science is an ideal fit for students who are looking for a thorough background in GIS theory and use, but are not seeking a degree.
In addition to broad exposure to the principles and applications of GIS, the curriculum provides students with practical exposure to GIS technology systems that analyze spatial data and equips them to confidently draw conclusions from data in mapped and tabular formats.
Successful completion of Saint Mary’s GIS certificate program will help students earn professional GIS certification through the GIS Certification Institute.
GeoSpatial Services staff and students to inventory Minnesota wetlandsSaint Mary’s University of Minnesota has signed an $880,000 agreement with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources to help inventory wetlands in the state’s Northwest region. This is the largest single project awarded to the university’s GeoSpatial Services (GSS), a project center that integrates professional services and academic apprenticeships in the areas of natural resource […] Read more ›
The Next Step: An M.S. in Geographic Information Science
While earning your Graduate Certificate in Geographic Information Science, you can make plans to earn additional credentials and advance your career as a leader in GIS by completing the M.S. in Geographic Information Science degree from Saint Mary’s. All credits taken in the certificate program can be applied to the GIS master’s degree.
Gainful Employment Information
Effective July 1, 2011, the U.S. Department of Education requires institutions with nondegree programs defined as “Gainful Employment programs” to disclose certain information about these programs. Read our report.
From Start to Finish
- You can earn your Graduate Certificate in Geographic Information Science in less than one year.
- Evening classes and blended/online learning formats fit a variety of schedules.
- Cohorts have flexible start times in fall, spring, or summer.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Completed application form with the nonrefundable application fee (fee not required for alumni or students seeking readmission or veterans and active military personnel), and
- An official transcript issued to Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota from the institution posting the applicant’s completed bachelor degree and other relevant transcripts documenting program prerequisites and potential transfer credits. (An official transcript is one that is sent to the university by the credit-granting institution. Transcripts from countries other than the U.S. must be evaluated by a university accepted evaluation source, such as World Education Services, Educational Credential Evaluators, Educational Perspectives, or One Earth International Credential Evaluators and be deemed equivalent to accredited U.S. university standards).
A reflective essay which includes the following:
- brief description of the applicant’s background, training, and experience; and
- statement indicating the career goals of the applicant and his or her reasons for seeking admission to the program; and
- description of the areas the applicant considers to be his or her strengths and areas in which the applicant wishes to develop greater strengths and abilities; and
- personal information the applicant wishes to share.
- Two letters of recommendation that verify professional and/or volunteer experience and academic ability; and
- A current résumé listing educational background and work experience.
- Applicants with international transcripts may require an English language proficiency exam (TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or MELAB accepted.)
Please Note: Application materials should be sent to the attention of the Office of Admission on the Twin Cities campus.
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
Office of Admission
2500 Park Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55404
This program is offered at our Twin Cities and Winona locations.
Connect With Us
James Callinan, M.A.
Director of Admission, SGPP
LaSalle Hall-TC Campus, LSH120
Campus Box: # 28
Learn about tuition and financial aid options to reach your educational goals.
Meet with Saint Mary’s faculty and staff and get your questions answered at an upcoming information session.
Learn more about the convenient doctoral and master’s programs that Saint Mary’s offers to help advance you in your career.