M.S. in Geographic Information Science
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota has long been a leader in providing students with the educational foundation and in-field experience necessary for successful careers and leadership positions in Geographic Information Science (GIS).
Interest in the field has increased significantly with the U.S. Department of Labor predicting an annual growth rate of 35 percent for the geospatial technology industry.
Career paths for students who obtain their Master of Science in Geographic Information Science are quite varied—from information technology, business analytics, asset and resource urban planning, and emergency management to public safety and surveying. Regardless of your profession, your Saint Mary’s education will give you:
- In-depth experience with applied cutting-edge geospatial technology
- A comprehensive understanding of effective research strategies
- Real-world examples and hands-on experience to promote the efficient use of geospatial technology in decision making
Thorough knowledge of data development techniques, analysis, and evaluation
In addition to the classroom experience, Saint Mary’s professors provide a rich learning environment through the university’s unique GeoSpatial Services affiliate, which gives students the opportunity to work in a mentored environment on active client projects. Saint Mary’s real-world experience, combined with networking opportunities with potential employers and alums, no doubt gives its students an advantage when beginning the career search.
GeoSpatial Services staff and students to inventory Minnesota wetlandsSaint Mary’s University of Minnesota has signed an $880,000 agreement with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources to help inventory wetlands in the state’s Northwest region. This is the largest single project awarded to the university’s GeoSpatial Services (GSS), a project center that integrates professional services and academic apprenticeships in the areas of natural resource […] Read more ›
GIS Graduate Certificate
For those students who are looking for a thorough background in GIS theory and use but are not seeking a degree, we encourage you to learn more about Saint Mary’s Graduate Certificate in Geographic Information Science. Successful completion of the certificate program will allow you to apply for professional GIS certification through the GIS Certification Institute.
Words From an Alum
"Saint Mary's offered a challenging, dynamic, rigorous approach for developing my GIS skills. The assignments are structured in a demanding, yet cooperative-based framework, employing the most current GIS software applications. This type of learning environment put me on top of the job market. "
—Martin Murphy, Graduate of the Geographic Information Science program at Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
From Start to Finish
- You can earn your M.S. in Geographic Information Science degree in less than two years.
- Cohorts begin each fall, spring, and summer.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Completed application form with the nonrefundable application fee (fee not required for alumni or students seeking readmission or veterans and active military personnel), and
- An official transcript issued to Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota from the institution posting the applicant’s completed bachelor degree and other relevant transcripts documenting program prerequisites and potential transfer credits. (An official transcript is one that is sent to the university by the credit-granting institution. Transcripts from countries other than the U.S. must be evaluated by a university accepted evaluation source, such as World Education Services, Educational Credential Evaluators, Educational Perspectives, or One Earth International Credential Evaluators and be deemed equivalent to accredited U.S. university standards).
A reflective essay which includes the following:
- brief description of the applicant’s background, training, and experience; and
- statement indicating the career goals of the applicant and his or her reasons for seeking admission to the program; and
- description of the areas the applicant considers to be his or her strengths and areas in which the applicant wishes to develop greater strengths and abilities; and
- personal information the applicant wishes to share.
- Two letters of recommendation that verify professional and/or volunteer experience and academic ability; and
- A current résumé listing educational background and work experience.
- Applicants with international transcripts may require an English language proficiency exam (TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or MELAB accepted.)
Please Note: Application materials should be sent to the attention of the Office of Admission on the Twin Cities campus.
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
Office of Admission
2500 Park Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55404
This program is offered at our Twin Cities and Winona locations.
Connect With Us
James Callinan, M.A.
Director of Admission, SGPP
LaSalle Hall-TC Campus, LSH120
Campus Box: # 28
Learn about tuition and financial aid options to reach your educational goals.
Meet with Saint Mary’s faculty and staff and get your questions answered at an upcoming information session.
Learn more about the convenient doctoral and master’s programs that Saint Mary’s offers to help advance you in your career.