Graduate Certificate in Education Administration: Director of Special Education
The Graduate Certificate in Education Administration for licensure as a Director of Special Education is designed for students seeking a Director of Special Education license.
The Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota Education Administration: Director of Special Education Graduate Certificate program is designed for students who have already earned a master’s degree to develop school administrative leadership and management skills. Minnesota State requirements for Directors of Special Education are embedded in the courses. The curriculum is practitioner-focused, with an emphasis on applying organizational leadership theories with practical skills needed by school administrators to become leaders of effective learning organizations.
Administrative Licensure Preparation Pathway
The program consists of 33 credits for initial K–12 Principal or Director of Special Education preparation (or 39 credits for both). You may then choose to stop out and obtain a graduate certificate, complete 6 credits towards superintendency preparation, or complete the Ed.S. degree.
License and Teaching Requirements
In order to be eligible for Minnesota administrative licensure preparation, individuals must have three years of classroom teaching experience and a valid state teaching license. Those who do not meet these requirements may choose to complete the Saint Mary’s Alternative Pathway program to administrative licensure, which can be completed simultaneously with program coursework.
The following outcomes are state-identified competencies for an educational administration degree from Saint Mary's.
Leadership—Lead educational institutions and departments through collaborative, visionary planning and decision making.
Organizational Management—Manage and evaluate organizational operations including human, monetary, and physical resources for institutional improvement.
Diversity Leadership—Promote, create, and monitor appreciation and cultivation of diversity.
Policy and Law—Interpret, develop, and implement local, state, and federal policy and law.
Political Influence and Governance—Nurture a cooperative alliance of key stakeholders to influence the politics and governance of educational institutions.
Communication—Utilize communication skills essential to inform and facilitate effective organizational communication.
Community Relations—Establish and maintain positive and effective community relations relative to educational institutions.
Curriculum Planning and Development for the Success of All Learners—Facilitate the planning and development of curriculum, assessment, and instruction.
Instructional Management for the Success of All Learners—Design, implement, and support instruction, assessment strategies, and behavior management.
Use Research Effectively—Integrate current research appropriate for all learners.
Human Resource Management—Interpret, apply, and manage policies and procedures, which foster positive and productive performance from faculty and staff.
Values and Ethics of Leadership—Practice ethical leadership, ensuring the best interest of all learners.
Judgment and Problem Analysis—Implement and facilitate problem-solving strategies integrating critical thinking, creativity, logic, and collaboration.
Safety and Security—Create safety and security plans to sustain an emotionally and physically safe educational environment for all.
Special Education Director Outcomes
As a student of the Director of Special Education Certificate program, you will have intentional focus on:
Policy and Law—Interpret and apply laws and policies regulating special education programs.
Organizational Management—Identify and explain policies and procedures regulating districts, boards, and special education.
Resource Allocation—Identify and explain programs, resources, and agencies related to special education.
Gainful Employment Information
Effective July 1, 2011, the U.S. Department of Education requires institutions with nondegree programs defined as “Gainful Employment programs” to disclose certain information about these programs. Read the report.
From Start to Finish
- You can earn your administrative license in a little less than two years.
- A cohort model allows for a small team of students to collaborate in convenient locations across the metro.
Contact us to talk through location options in your area.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Completed application form with the nonrefundable application fee (fee not required for alumni or students seeking readmission or veterans and active military personnel), and
- An official transcript issued to Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota from the institution posting the applicant’s completed bachelor degree and other relevant transcripts documenting program prerequisites and potential transfer credits. (An official transcript is one that is sent to the university by the credit-granting institution. Transcripts from countries other than the U.S. must be evaluated by a university accepted evaluation source, such as World Education Services, Educational Credential Evaluators, Educational Perspectives, or One Earth International Credential Evaluators and be deemed equivalent to accredited U.S. university standards).
A reflective essay which includes the following:
- brief description of the applicant’s background, training, and experience; and
- statement indicating the career goals of the applicant and his or her reasons for seeking admission to the program; and
- description of the areas the applicant considers to be his or her strengths and areas in which the applicant wishes to develop greater strengths and abilities; and
- personal information the applicant wishes to share.
- Two letters of recommendation that verify professional and/or volunteer experience and academic ability; and
- A current résumé listing educational background and work experience.
- Applicants with international transcripts may require an English language proficiency exam (TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or MELAB accepted.)
Please Note: Application materials should be sent to the attention of the Office of Admission on the Twin Cities campus.
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
Office of Admission
2500 Park Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55404
This program is offered at our Twin Cities location.
Connect With Us
Michelle Dougherty, M.A.
SGPP Admission - Enrollment Counselor Graduate School of Education
LaSalle Hall-TC Campus, LSH112
Campus Box: # 28
William Bjorum, Ed.D.
Educational Specialist in Educational Admin. - Program Director
Mother Teresa Hall-TC Campus, MTH19
Campus Box: # 28
Carl Wahlstrom, Ed.D.
Associate Director - Education Specialist in Educational Administration, Education - Adjunct Professor
Mother Teresa Hall-TC Campus, MTH21
Campus Box: # 28
Education Administration Programs - Program Coordinator
The Heights, HT201
Campus Box: # 68
MAI - Program Coordinator
Mother Teresa Hall-TC Campus, MTH23
Campus Box: # 28
Jennifer Backer, M.Ed.
Ed.S. in Educational Administration - Adjunct Instructor
Thomas Coughlin, M.S.
Education Admin - Adjunct Assistant Professor
Deborah Hilde, M.A.
Education - Adjunct Program Instructor
Lyle Koski, Ph.D.
Educational Administrative Licensure Program - Adjunct Associate Professor
Susan Manikowski, M.Ed.
MA Education Program - Adjunct Assistant Professor
Karen Mortenson, M.S.
Ed.S. Education Administration Program - Adjunct Associate Professor
Janet Pladson, Ed.D.
Ed.S. In Educational Admin. - Adjunct Assistant Professor
Bruce Santerre, Ed.D.
Ed.S. In Educational Administration - Adjunct Assistant Professor
Susan Slater, Ed.D.
Educational Administration Licensure - Adjunct
Gregory Spath, Ed.S.
Educational Admin Licensure - Adjunct Program Instructor
Campus Box: # 28
Beverly Stofferahn, M.S.
Coordinator of Superintendent Licensure Preparation Program, Education - Advisor
Campus Box: # 28
Learn about tuition and financial aid options to reach your educational goals.
Meet with Saint Mary’s faculty and staff and get your questions answered at an upcoming information session.
Learn more about the convenient doctoral and master’s programs that Saint Mary’s offers to help advance you in your career.