Graduate Certificate in Gifted Inclusive Education
The Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota Gifted Inclusive Education (GIE) Graduate Certificate program is designed for the K–12 teacher who wants to take a proactive approach to creating constructive challenges for all students.
A foundational framework for the program is the belief and understanding that all students have gifts and exceptionalities and are all equal in the K–12 general classroom. Tenets of culturally responsive teaching, ethical and professional practice, and advocacy for all students are embedded throughout the program. Students in the program also learn how to support and coach others, serving as a key resource in their building and school.
GIE Specialization Within the M.A. in Education
After completion of the 15 GIE credits, those wishing to complete the M.A. in Education degree may do so with an additional 18 credits. Courses for degree completion address topics such as educational theory and research, integrating technology into the curriculum, ethics and law, child growth and development, reflection, and resiliency. The culminating activity is an action research project where you will implement practical educational strategies that ensure the success of all learners.
Upon completion of the Gifted Inclusive Education Graduate Certificate Program, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Identify the giftedness of every learner
- Demonstrate the ability to promote the academic and cultural diversity within the school and familial communities
- Apply theory, research, instructional strategies, and emerging best practices of gifted inclusive education
- Design curriculum that challenges the full continuum of giftedness
- Demonstrate how teachers can plan and collaborate with fellow educators and families to plan systemic gifted inclusive education
Effective July 1, 2011, the U.S. Department of Education requires institutions with nondegree programs defined as “Gainful Employment programs” to disclose certain information about these programs. Read the report.
From Start to Finish
- You can earn your Graduate Certificate in Gifted Inclusive Education in one year.
- Courses are offered fully online. The cohort-based design consists of courses taught by experienced practitioners. Classes include collaborative discussions, engaging online activities, and an emphasis on teamwork and practical educational strategies that ensure the success of all learners.
- To apply, you'll need to submit an application, $25 application fee, résumé, brief personal statement outlining your professional and educational goals, official transcripts, and letters of reference. For more information, visit the graduate admission page.
This program is offered online.
Required Courses: 15 cr.
This course presents philosophical, ethical, and culturally responsive lenses through which to consider the impact of learning differences, culture and language, social economics, and other exceptionalities in the development and recognition of giftedness.
In this course, students examine theory, research, and practices to assess and appropriately identify and challenge gifted learners. Twice exceptionalities, multiple intelligences, preferred learning styles, developing gifts and talents in all students, and obstacles to learning are covered.
In this course, students plan curriculum, select resources, develop activities, and create differentiated instructional strategies for gifted learners. Students evaluate historical and current models of gifted inclusive education to effectively influence future teaching practices.
This course covers curriculum implementation and management of gifted inclusive education, assessment of learning, and interpretation of student data to make appropriate curriculum revisions based on individual student needs.
This course explores how to collaborate with and lead others within the school and familial communities in the systemic development of policy, resources, inquiry, and curriculum for gifted inclusive education.
Learn about the necessary steps to complete the application process and how acceptance works.
Meet with Saint Mary’s faculty and staff and get your questions answered at an upcoming information session.
Learn more about the convenient doctoral and master’s programs that Saint Mary’s offers to help advance you in your career.
Connect With Us
Michelle Dougherty, M.A.
SGPP Admission - Enrollment Counselor Graduate School of Education
LaSalle Hall-TC Campus, LSH112
Campus Box: # 28