Art and Design Department
The Art and Design Department provides a creative environment for Saint Mary’s students with opportunities to cultivate aesthetic diversity and enrich cultural awareness.
Our programs offer state-of-the-art facilities where you take hands-on courses with small class sizes and direct interaction with experienced faculty. Want to see more? Our department website features information about scholarships, facilities, the art gallery, and student work options.
Art Galleries on Campus
The Art and Design Department manages two galleries on campus for the enrichment of all students and the local community: The Lillian Davis Hogan Galleries in the Toner Student Center, and a student gallery in the art and design building.
Goals for Our Students
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of design fundamentals and vocabulary
- Recognize major figures and movements in art history, and draw connections between historic and contemporary trends
- Identify and discuss major uses of the visual arts in our society: communication of information, transmission of religious/spiritual values, social/political action, utilitarian design, personal expression, and environmental enhancement
- Think creatively and critically
- Analyze a work of art, using correct terminology and proper art criticism criteria
Connect With Us
Robert McColl, M.F.A.
Art and Design - Assistant Professor, Department Chair
Saint Joseph Hall, SJ015D
Campus Box: # 66
Kjellgren Alkire, M.F.A.
Art & Design - Assistant Professor
Saint Joseph Hall, SJ014
Campus Box: #1444
Preston Lawing, M.F.A.
Art and Design - Professor
Saint Joseph Hall, SJ15C
Campus Box: #1421
Roderick Robertson, FSC, M.F.A.
Mission Enhancement - Lasallian Scholar in Residence
Saint Joseph Hall, SJ021
Campus Box: # 18
Lisa Truax, M.F.A.
Art and Design - Associate Professor
Saint Joseph Hall, SJ015B
Campus Box: #1480