Criminal Justice Department
The Saint Mary’s Criminal Justice Department seeks to produce well-rounded, ethical, and justice-minded students who will then in turn use those skills as agents of criminal justice.
The criminal justice majors at Saint Mary’s provide an overview of institutions such as courts, corrections, and policing. They also explore the causes of crime, issues related to social control, and topics such as law enforcement, judicial processes, the impact of drugs, and other related societal issues. Course work includes the study of statistics, law, courts and corrections systems, criminal procedures, and a variety of other special topics.
Academic and Field Experience at Saint Mary’s
Saint Mary’s faculty bring both an academic background and field experience to our criminal justice programs. They expose students to a wide variety of academic disciplines such as human services, political science, psychology, and sociology.
Majors and Minors
Transfer Guides for the Criminal Justice Program
Saint Mary's welcomes transfer students and offers the following guides to help students understand which credits will easily transfer to Saint Mary's.
- Inver Hills Community College (PDF)
- Minnesota State College: Southeast Technical (PDF)
- Normandale Community College (PDF)
- Rochester Community and Technical College (PDF)
Goals for a Criminal Justice Major
- Have an understanding of the principles underlying the functions of the criminal justice system and its relationship to society at large
- Have a thorough understanding of the role of the criminal justice professional in the fields of law enforcement, corrections, and the courts
- Possess the skills necessary to think clearly, independently, and critically about the fundamental issues in criminal justice
- Possess the foundations necessary for professional careers in the criminal justice fields, successful graduate study, or law school
Connect With Us
Tricia Klosky, Ph.D.
Criminal Justice Coordinator, Social Science - Associate Professor
Griffin Hall, GR184
Campus Box: #1513