21

SMU fields 21 different intercollegiate teams at the NCAA Division III level.

• Amy Kujak
  •  | Education

Fall Break!!!

October 18, 2011

One of the great things about SMU is that we have October Break right after midterms, which means that we have Monday and Tuesday off of school, which makes for a nice, four-day weekend. The halls close during break, so a lot of people go home for break. This is great timing because this is a good break from school and it comes at a perfect time when school is starting to get a little stressful. However, if you are looking into an education major, and it is your senior year and you are out student teaching, you do not get this break. That is because when you student teach, you are no longer on SMU’s break plan, but rather at the school in which you are student teaching in. So I am not student teaching right now, but I will in the spring. Right now, our student teachers out in the field right now don’t have break, but they will have a MEA break at the end of the week. So in the spring, SMU’s spring break might not match up with the spring break at my school, so I will follow the plan my school has.

Now over these October Breaks, there is an opportunity presented to do some volunteer work through S.O.U.L. to communities close by. S.O.U.L. stands for Serving Others United in Love, and this organization takes trips over October Break, Spring Break, and then in May when school gets out. This October Break I am pretty sure there was a trip to the Twin Cities, and an environmental trip to Whitewater State Park. (I think, I know they have done these trips before for sure). This is a great opportunity to get some volunteer work done and to meet new people. Because of volleyball, I have never been able to participate on an October trip, but I have been on two trips over Spring Break; leading one of those. I went to West Virginia two years ago now, and then I led a trip up to Northern Minnesota to the Red Lake Indian Reservation last year. I will talk more about those trips later, but I would STRONGLY encourage everyone to go on at least S.O.U.L trips over their four years at SMU. If you want to meet new people and gain a great experience this would be the opportunity for you!

“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” –  Helen Keller