alt for major image top/left
80

Approximate percentage of SMU students actively involved in student clubs and organizations.

• Courtney Lee
  •  | Biology

The Next Chapter

October 24, 2011

What a great weekend. One of my oldest friends from freshman year visited from the Chicago area this weekend. She transferred out of Saint Mary’s to be closer to home after our freshman year and we have made an effort to visit each other at least once a year since. This weekend was pretty entertaining, for starters we hit up the town at the ground round with another mutual friend of ours, then met up with a bunch of my friends and spent the rest of the evening sitting in a living room swapping one ridiculous story after another. The next morning we wandered about the Lewiston corn maze and I got to witness my first pig race! I had to part with her for a few hours to fish for bluegill for my senior thesis project.

My senior thesis has begun to be quiet the pain after two failed projects, and the current plan unfortunately is turning out to be a bit of a failure too. My advisor however is keeping me very optimistic and is encouraging me to take value in the process of the work that goes behind research rather than the results themselves. I have come to realize that after three years of college, I do not wish to continue onto higher education. I love learning and I love my classes, but I am ready for a new chapter in my life and if I am to go back to graduate school, then that will have to come at a later part in my life. This project has taught me that I was not made for research. My personality does not contain the skills or the will to develop the skills that are required for detailed research. Perhaps, theses skills will develop with more responsibility that I will gain from age, but right now I would like to enter the working field. I would really love to spend the next couple of months or maybe this next entire year working at a state park or becoming involved with outdoor education. I feel that I have strong skills in teaching, specifically in hands on education.

The services offered at Saint Mary’s are pretty incredible. I have set up meetings with the guidance councilors to discuss my personality and what types of jobs are best suited for me. I have worked with career services, which have helped me create resumes, cover letters, and seek informational interviews. Saint Mary’s has a lot to offer, students just have to be willing to put in the time and dig a little deeper.

Well, that was a bit of a tangent. Anyway, I went fishing in Lake Winona for my thesis and caught 10 bluegills in an hour! My friend and I went to the Great Hunan, which has incredible service and fantastic Asian cuisine. All and all, a great weekend. Today, a hike up to the cave in the bluffs. Seems like it will be a pretty amazing week already.

The following two images were taken of me and my thesis partner Linda Tierney , another biology student and close friend, along with my Advisor, Professor Lallaman, and a great friend, Gary Borash former student and head of Outdoor Leadership: