275

SMU’s located 275 miles northwest of Chicago, one of the Midwest’s most exciting cities.

• Andy Bauer
  •  | Music

The Ol’ Saint Mary’s University

October 3, 2011

Being a student from Marietta, Georgia, I often find myself being asked: “why did you come all the way up here?” And to me it seems kind of silly. My dad went to school here way back in the seventies. Which was the reason why I was NEVER going to come to Saint Mary’s University. But I have been up to Saint Mary’s every year since I have been born over the summer to an event that my dad and his friends put together after they realized how much they missed each other in their lives. This year was the 26th year of GOOF (Get-together Of Old Friends). Every year I have come to this place and every year I fell more in love with the campus. The bluffs are enchanting and the campus is simply gorgeous.

Aside from that, I was still set on NEVER coming to Saint Mary’s. After doing many campus tours all over the nation I realized that I didn’t want to be in a big city. I wanted to be at a small school with a good program in my major away from a city but still near a city. I also, was shocked that most schools didn’t have a four-year program in my major. Additionally, I realized that I had limited amount of time in the studios on campus and not really a lot of options for live sound or other things in the music realm. But then I came to campus during the school year to see the show Blue Angel, a musical variety show put on by the male music fraternity on campus, my senior year and I stayed with one of the student ambassadors. Not only that, but I got to meet with one of my future professors and just talk about the music program here at Saint Mary’s. After that excursion my ‘NEVER’ became a resounding ‘Yes.’ I think I was truly blown away by the amount of people involved in things on campus. Blue Angel was packed with students and students were in the show. It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Additionally, I was sitting in Chamber Singers my freshmen year and I look over to my right and the guy who I stayed with on my trip here recognized me and to this day he is one of my closest friends.

People always ask me why did I come here and to me it was the only place that I really felt at home. It has been everything I have wanted. I have made friends here that I will know for my entire life. I have been involved in things that I would have never been able to get involved in. At the risk of sounding cliché, I am very glad I came to Saint Mary’s. I couldn’t envision myself anywhere else.