97

Percentage of SMU freshmen who choose to live on campus.

• Brian Dillon
  •  | Business

Why I Chose SMU

October 3, 2011

As you are researching the web for colleges you might attend, you are probably asking yourself the question “why should I choose to go to school there?” I was once in your shoes making that tough decision of where to go to college. These are some of the reasons that I chose Saint Mary’s for college, and I hope this can help you as you make your decision.

The biggest reason I chose Saint Mary’s was the small school size. I really like the small class sizes because it enables me to get to know my professors, and it has allowed me to get to know my classmates well too. Not many students can say that they have had a barbeque with their professor! The sense of community at Saint Mary’s is the strongest I have seen, and something that contributes to it is the fact the most students choose to live on campus all four years. I also enjoy seeing the president of our school around campus. It seems like most universities do not even know who their school’s president is, but on many occasions I have been able to talk to Brother William as he roams the campus talking to all of the students.

The campus of Saint Mary’s is also one of my other favorite parts about the school. The bluffs provide for many activities such as rock climbing, hiking, cross country skiing, and having bonfires.

The Lasallian mission was an attraction for me too. I enjoy being able to give back to the community, and Saint Mary’s has many opportunities for its students to do so. One of my favorite memories was going on a S.O.U.L. (Serving Others United in Love) trip to West Virginia. We were able to help restore some damaged housing in some very small towns.

Saint Mary’s has become a second home for me. I hope some of my reasons why I like Saint Mary’s help you in making your decision!