30

SMU awards $30 million in financial aid every year.

• Amy Kujak
  •  | Education
NCAA

Why Play D3 Athletics?

October 22, 2011

Now I thought I would take some time to talk about what it means to be a D3 student-athlete on campus for all of you hopefully thinking about trying out for one of the athletic teams on campus. Playing volleyball here (even with the injury) has been one of the best decisions I have made because 1) I am playing the sport I love for the fun, competition, and thrill of it 2) my team is like my second family on campus. We rely on each other and support each other through everything 3) I have gotten to know so many more people through my teammates, people on the other teams, and other schools as well.

In high school, there really was no doubt that I wanted to continue playing sports at a collegiate level; I just did not know where I would be able to play. If you are even remotely thinking about trying out for a team, I would do it. My philosophy on the matter is that if you want to do it; try it. If you make the team, fantastic! If you don’t make the team, at least you tried so you cannot look back with regrets. We would love to have you try out!

What is great about playing D3 athletics is that your collegiate and athletic career are not riding on a scholarship. Sure having a scholarship helps with financial aid, but if you get hurt or do not play as well as expected you are at a risk of losing the scholarship. Instead you can play for the enjoyment and thrill of the sport. Below is a quote about D3 athletics. I found it very inspiring and I hope you do too!

Why We Play D-III Athletics

“It’s not about getting a scholarship, getting drafted, or making SportsCenter. It’s a deep need in us that comes from the heart. We need to practice, to play, to lift, to hustle, to sweat. We do it all for our teammates and for the student in our calculus class that we don’t even know.
We don’t practice with a future major league first baseman; we practice with a future sports agent. We don’t lift weights with a future Olympic wrestler; we lift with a future doctor. We don’t run with a future Wimbledon champion; we run with a future CEO. It’s a bigger part of us than our friends and family can understand. Sometimes we play for 2,000 fans; sometimes 25. But we still play hard. You cheer for us because you know us. You know more than just our names. Like all of you, we are students first. We don’t sign autographs. But we do sign graduate school applications, MCAT exams, and student body petitions. When we miss a kick or strike out, we don’t let down an entire state. We only let down our teammates, coaches, and fans.

But the hurt is still the same. We train hard, lift, throw, run, kick, tackle, shoot, dribble, and lift some more, and in the morning we go to class. And in that class we are nothing more than students. It’s about pride in ourselves, in our school. It’s about our love and passion for the game. And when it’s over, when we walk off that court or field for the last time, our hearts crumble. Those tears are real. But deep down inside, we are very proud of ourselves. We will forever be what few can claim…college athletes.”