14

Number of SMU residence halls—home to 83 percent of all our undergraduates.

• Amy Kujak
  •  | Education

Last Game

November 3, 2011

We had our last volleyball game Saturday night against Gustavus Adolphus in St. Peter, MN. We ended up losing to the Gusties 1-3, but we played pretty good. I cannot believe that the season is over now. It is always difficult after the last game because you have worked hard all season, and it can be over in minutes. Especially as a senior, knowing that you will never play another game of college volleyball is very hard to take. On this year’s team, there are only two seniors; myself and Erika Hurley. We have played together for four years and have a great collegiate career and it is sad to see that end. Not going to practice every day is always difficult because you just want to spend time with the girls and play the game that you love. Even though we do not have practice anymore, all of our girls still get together to play, run, lift, and stay in shape. Playing college athletics means training all year so that you are at your top performance when your season starts again. If you are interesting in playing athletics at SMU, getting familiar with the aerobic and weight lifting facilities is a must. We have great facilities for how small our campus is. I would encourage you to take advantage of them. My time as a college athlete came to an end, but that does not mean that I am finished with the game. As far as I am concerned, I will always and forever be a volleyball player. However, my role is changing now and I look forward to the opportunity to eventually coach or play in leagues. As an athlete it is so hard to just give it all up, so I plan on continue playing or coaching for as long as possible. My last four years as a volleyball play at SMU have been amazing, and I hope that if you decide to play college athletics here too that you will feel the same way. CARDNIAL PRIDE!

“I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team. I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion.”

Gustavus slips past Cardinals 3-1 in season finale