16

Enjoy small class sizes averaging 16 students and a student-faculty ratio of 13:1.

• Andy Bauer
  •  | Music

Performances

November 15, 2011

The concerts are always very different. One can see a jazz show one time or a classical recital. At Saint Mary’s we have had some very interesting people come in and perform. My freshmen year, we had a saxophone player by the name of Dave Liebman come in and teach a masterclass and perform. Dave Liebman had also played with Miles Davis who is an icon in jazz. His advice and critiques of the jazz combos were very brilliant. And even more interesting was listening to the man play. It was incredible. Simply incredible.

What else I think is unique about Saint Mary’s is the opportunities the university offers to composers in the Winona area. My freshmen year we had a composer give us a few pieces to perform. One of the pieces was written for a woman’s choir and the other was written for soloists, choir, brass ensemble and percussion. I can easily say that this was the hardest piece of music I have ever performed. The title of the piece was Oratoria.  It also, was a very, I guess the way to explain it, experimental piece harmonically. It pushed my ears and was overall a very pushing experience.