97

Percentage of SMU freshmen who choose to live on campus.

• Amy Kujak
  •  | Education

Helping Out!

December 23, 2011

On the Wednesday and Thursday right after coming home from break, I spent some time in my old elementary school observing and helping out in a fourth-grade classroom. My mother was actually long-term subbing in that classroom, and it was fun teaching with her. Because it was right before break, the students were very antsy and sometimes had a difficult time focusing for long amounts of time. I went to a private parochial school, and the class sizes are still very small, just like they were when I attended the school about 12 years ago already. So this fourth-grade classroom only had 12 students which is almost half the size that would be in a public school. With the small class sizes, I was able to really get to know the students just from being in the classroom for two days. If you are thinking about going into Elementary Education, I would suggest going to your old elementary school and observing and helping out in some of the classes. This way you will have some hours of classroom observation before entering college, and you will have an idea what grade you might like to teach. My best friend’s mother is also a fourth-grade teacher, and I love to go into her classroom during breaks and help out. This helps the teacher out a lot as well because there is another set of eyes and hands to help the students out with classroom activities. You will also be introduced to many different styles of teaching, and this will help you uncover your own style of teaching. I would highly recommend it if you are interested in education!

“Life is a cup to be filled not drained.” — Anonymous