21

SMU fields 21 different intercollegiate teams at the NCAA Division III level.

• Amy Kujak
  •  | Education
I teach...

More Student Teaching…

January 29, 2012

Goodness gracious! I cannot believe it has only been two weeks that I have been student teaching in my 5th grade class. On one hand, the time has flown by, but on the other, it feels as though I have been there forever because the teachers, staff, and students have been so warm and welcoming. Last week, my teacher as let me start taking over math, and I taught four math lessons last week. The first day I was really excited because it was the first time I would really be teaching a class, and I was introducing them to fractions which is probably my favorite unit in math (yes….I know…I have been called a nerd many, many times!) The lessons went so well though, and I really think my students understand the material. Sure, there was a day I did not explain the material in the easiest way, but I corrected myself the next day and apologized for my error to the students. It is important for students to hear their teachers make mistakes and then apologize, because we are just as human as anyone else!

On Thursday night, my 5th graders had a musical about self-esteem. The whole production was about 45 minutes, and when they finished they were so proud of what they had done. I was so glad I was able to have the opportunity to go and I went with one of my classmates from Saint Mary’s who student taught in the other 5th grade house in the fall. This program was initiated to help raise awareness for bullying at the Winona Middle School as well as in schools across the country. This upcoming Tuesday, the 7th and 8th graders will be participating in Rachel’s Challenge which is about Rachel Scott, who was the first student killed in the Columbine shooting. Rachel’s father, sister, and brother travel to schools across America to give speeches about bullying awareness, and how to live your life for others. I am going to go to this presentation which will be held at the high school. From what I was able to gather from a brief video, the presentation is very powerful and beneficial.

“A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark.” – Ancient Chinese Proverb