85

Percentage of our full-time faculty who’ve earned the highest degrees in their fields.

• Amy Kujak
  •  | Education

Start of Student Teaching :)

January 20, 2012

The time has finally come that I am student teaching!!!! I have been placed in a 5th grade classroom in the Winona Middle School. My cooperating teacher is pretty young, very energetic, and relates very well with the students. I always had pictured myself with a younger classroom, but my 5th graders already have my heart. This is something you will experience when you have practicum experiences in the schools: it is amazing how quickly you care for your students.

The first day, my students had a very difficult time saying my last name, but now a lot more are catching on; either that or they take the easy route and just call me Ms. K. During breaks, a lot of them congregate around my desk and draw on my post-it notes. I am just hoping my brand new stack will make it until March at this rate!

During science class, the 5th graders have been working on their Science Fair project ideas. Some students came up with their ideas quickly, and others are still thinking. If they do not know what they want to do, I ask them to think about something they really enjoy doing and then we try to think of a way to make it into a science project. This way the students are interested in what they are doing, and they will be much more likely to work harder on the project. Leaving the computer lab today, one student told me how awesome science was because it uses all the subjects: math to figure out problems, lots of reading, and learning about things and history like in social studies. I was so excited and proud at this moment! That is exactly how we want students to feel! Incorporating several subjects together in a lesson is also much more practical in real life than just focusing on one subject. Think for a moment: when, besides maybe doing homework, are you just focusing on math, or science, or social studies? Not very often. So the more we can connect a lesson to multiple subjects the better.

I know it has only been three days so far, but when my alarm goes off SO early in the morning, I am excited to wake up because then I get to see my kids. And I am honestly not just saying that because it sounds good: it is the TRUTH! If you pick the right profession, you will know because you will look forward to it every day. You’ll see ;)

“There is no more noble profession than teaching. A great teacher is a great artist, but his medium is not canvas, but the human soul.” – Anonymous