150

Nearly 150 SMU students from 20 different departments find internships every year.

• Amy Kujak
  •  | Education

Fifth Grade Mad Scientists!

February 18, 2012

This past Friday, the Middle School hosted their science fair for the 5th and 6th graders. This was an optional event for the kids and I think we had about ten or eleven students from our class sign up. As a class, we have been working on the science fair boards for five weeks, and they were finally finished and were given the opportunity to present their projects. The science fair was located in the Commons area and there were about three students per table. Most of the judges were education students from either Saint Mary’s or Winona State, and I couldn’t tell if this made my students more or less nervous. Throughout the night, I made sure to check in with all of my students several times to see how they were doing. After they were judged, some told me they were so nervous their stomach was doing little flips and that they were shaking. Others were very excited because they think they got a very good score. I loved seeing them so excited and proud of their experiments. I also enjoyed seeing projects that students from other classes presented. Some of their ideas were so unique and technical – we are going to have a couple Mad Scientists coming out of that fifth grade class! After the science fair, the students and parents were ushered into the auditorium where the awards were handed out. I was a very proud student teacher because two of my students took home the second-place ribbon. They were so excited and proud of their achievements. They got huge smiles on their faces when they went up to receive their awards. This was such a rewarding experience for me as a student teacher to see. I was able to meet some of the student’s families and see their pride. Sure, it made for a long day at school, but I would not have traded it for a night with my friends. Moments like this reassures me that education is definitely the right field for me.

Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into flame by another human being. Each of us owes deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light. — Albert Schweitzer