55

Approximate percentage of students involved in activities through SMU’s campus ministry groups.

• Amy Kujak
  •  | Education

Full-Time Teaching!

February 27, 2012

Oh my goodness does this student-teaching thing take up a lot of time, but it is definitely something I would not trade for anything else in the world at the moment. Next week I am starting my 7th week in the 5th grade classroom, and have about five weeks left. I will also be starting to teach full time next week. I have been teaching everything but Social Studies for about the last two weeks, but with the science fair I have not had an opportunity to take over Science quite yet. So, this weekend has been spent planning lessons for the upcoming week. I am already very comfortable with teaching and planning for Math and Social Studies because they were the first two subjects I took on, and I have to work a little harder for ideas for Reading and now Science. I am excited though because we are starting our energy unit for science where the students will be learning about different ways to obtain energy; like nonrenewable and renewable, and the different types of each. I find this stuff interesting, so hopefully the kids will as well. A cool thing I found online was chocolate chip coal mining. Students can only use toothpicks to try and “mine” out all of the chocolate chips. The goal of this activity is for students to see how difficult it is to mine coal from the ground, and that it becomes even more difficult the deeper you go into the ground (cookie). I have already done this activity while teaching in Latvia, and I am hoping to do the same thing with my fifth graders later in the week.

The important thing is not so much that every child should be taught, as that every child should be given the wish to learn.    – John Lubbock