150

Nearly 150 SMU students from 20 different departments find internships every year.

• Amy Kujak
  •  | Education

Time Flies When You Have Fun

March 29, 2012

Looking at the calendar, I cannot believe I only have one more week left with my 5th graders, and four weeks in a 7th grade math class. As cheesy as it sounds, I have loved just about every moment with my fifth graders, and it will be so heartbreaking to say goodbye to them next Thursday. I had to miss student teaching yesterday for Founder’s Day, and when the kids came in the room today I felt as though I had been gone for a week or more! One of my sweet boys walked in the room, looked at me, and said, “Good, now we are complete again.” How am I going to leave them after this? Another girl ran over to give me a hug. During this time, another student was trying to ask her a question, and she just said, “Wait! First I have to give Ms. K a hug.” My heart just melts! Lastly, I have more of a large table for my desk, and today, before and during break time, my desk was swarmed with students telling me stories or just hanging out. There were so many of them that I could not even get out of my desk when I had to go talk to someone. I love these kids from the depths of my heart and I would do anything to prolong these next seven days. For those of you who are thinking about going into education and are not sure why I am reacting so dramatically about this; you will. Trust me. When you are student teaching and your room is filled with little monkeys, you will fall for them faster than a bowling ball dropped from a roof; and there is no un-doing that feeling. You’re going to fall fast and you are going to fall hard, but that is the joy of teaching. Words just cannot describe the emotions I am feeling right now, so I am going to leave you with the quote I will give my kids my last day.

“Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”    – Winnie the Pooh