25

Percentage of SMU students who compete as athletes in our NCAA intercollegiate teams.

• Amy Kujak
  •  | Education

Movin’ Up

April 22, 2012

Two weeks ago I switched from 5th grade in the Winona Middle School to a 7th grade mathematics class. My first observation of these seventh graders was how big they were! I never thought my 5th graders were that small, but compared to the 7th graders they are puny! It was a bit of a shock transitioning from the elementary level to the middle level, but within several days I adapted to their schedule and started to gel right in. It was also very different to only teach math all day. Out of the five sections we teach, three are base-level 7th grade math, one advanced class, and one trans-math. Right now I have been mostly grading papers during class and helping out when the students have work time. These students are a lot of fun, and they are old enough where you can have fun with them and they are pretty self-sufficient.

How I think about all of the students I have had so far:

“I’m glad I was your teacher. I’ve come to love you so. I can’t believe the end is here. I hate to see you go. You’re such a star and I love you so dearly. You light up my life I mean that sincerely. Remember all the fun we had in all the things we did, but most of all remember…you’re a very special kid!”