A-Z Index Admission Bookstores Careers @ SMU Commencement Ceremonies Degrees & Programs Faculty/Staff Directory Giving Opportunities Institutes & Affiliates Library - Twin Cities Library - Winona News & Communication Offices & Services Performing & Fine Arts President's Office Student Services - Twin Cities Transcripts Military & Veterans Services Writing Center - Twin Cities
Inside Pages WebTools WebMail Blackboard IT Helpdesk

Military & Veterans Services

Veterans helping veterans earn their degrees

Saint Mary's University recognizes the extraordinary contributions of members of our armed services and your families and is committed to providing an environment that helps you attain your academic and personal goals. We understand the unique challenges of transitioning into a university environment and want your experience here to be a positive one! We thank you and your family members for your service to our country!

The staff at Student Central can assist you with registering for classes, requesting your benefits, deferring your tuition bill due date, providing invoices and degree plans, and many other steps on your educational journey. 

Saint Mary's is dedicated to providing benefits to help you obtain your degree, including:

  • Certifying officials to assist you to obtain your benefits 
  • Deferred Billing 
  • Generous transfer of credit 
  • Free transcript evaluation 
  • Waived admission application fee
  • Veterans on staff who understand your needs
Steps to Apply
  • Apply for Admission to Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
  • Submit Transcripts from all Other Colleges to determine credit for previous learning and military experience and training
  • Apply for the appropriate chapter of GI Bill Veterans Benefits through VONAPP
    • If you have never used your GI Bill benefit before, complete a Form 22-1990
    • For survivors/Dependents, you need to apply for benefits via Form 22-5490
    • If you have used your GI Bill benefits at another school, you may transfer your entitlement by completing Form 22-1995
    • Vocational Rehabilitation applicants, you will need to contact the VA Certifying Official to determine eligibility
  • Apply for the Minnesota GI Bill grant, if you are a state of Minnesota resident
    • Apply for Financial Aid by completing the FAFSA
    • Submit a copy of your DD-214 to Student Central
  • Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to Student Central
  • Register for courses
  • Complete a Veterans Certification Form
    • You will need to submit this form only once. Should you wish to not use your benefits a semester or begin receiving additional benefits, you must contact Student Central.
  • If using Federal Tuition Assistance, apply for approval after course registration and submit the tuition authorization to Student Central
  • For students receiving benefits under Chapters 30, 1606 and 1607, they are required to verify their enrollment every month. This can be done by calling 1-877-823-2378 or going to the WAVE system.
VA Certifying Official

For any questions or concerns, please contact:

Kara Shore
VA Certifying Official
(612) 238-4516