This program has a blended delivery model. This model gives students the benefits of face to face instruction with the flexibility of online course sessions. All students need access to high speed internet. The online sessions will use Blackboard, discussion boards, presentation software, etc.
Practicum & Student Teaching
Experience applying theoretical concepts in real life settings is crucial to a teacher's development as a professional. Saint Mary's categorizes these experiences through a three credit practicum experience for those teachers adding a special education license, and a six credit student teaching experience for those who are working toward their initial teaching license.
- Interpret the central concepts, tools of inquiry, and history of special education within the context of birth to 21 regular education settings
- Manage the use of effective ethical and legal practices to lead the special education team through special education processes
- Develop, design, and implement effective individualized programs for students with disabilities using appropriate instructional strategies
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with families and professionals
- Apply the standards of effective practice in teaching special needs students at primary, intermediate, and high school levels across a range of service delivery models
- Analyze current research and apply it to special education curriculum and instruction
- Develop leadership skills to guide and direct services for the special education needs of students
- Utilize knowledge of disabilities and other conditions to integrate strategies applicable for students, including those with co-existing disabilities
- Recognize and plan for personal and professional growth and development
- Deliver professional education services in a nondiscriminatory manner with sensitivity to diversity