A master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution, for which applicants maintained at least a 3.0 grade point average, is required for admission. In addition, the applicant must have completed the graduate courses listed below. These courses may have been completed as part of a master’s degree or doctoral program, or may be taken separately at a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
Applicants must have course work in the following areas:
- Three courses (nine semester credits) in human development, human behavior, personality theory, human sexuality, psychopathology, and behavior pathology.
- One course (three semester credits) in marital and family therapy covering marital and family communication, family psychology, family therapy, methods of intervention, family assessment, sex therapy, major theories of marital and family therapy such as structural, strategic, transgenerational, experiential, object relations, contextual and systemic therapy.
- One course (three semester credits) in research covering design, methods, statistics, and special issues in research in marital and family studies or a related field.
An applicant who is lacking one or more of these courses may apply to be admitted as provisional and take courses in the Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy or Counseling and Psychological Services programs to fulfill entrance requirements.
Applicants must submit:
- Application and Fee - Completed online application and nonrefundable $25 application fee. (Fee not required for alumni, students seeking readmission or veterans and active military personnel.)
- Official Transcripts - An official transcript issued to Saint Mary's University from the institution posting the applicant's completed bachelor's degree and other relevant transcripts documenting program prerequisites and potential transfer credits. Transcripts must be received from the credit-granting institution in a sealed envelope. Saint Mary's cannot accept transcripts that have been previously scanned, faxed, e-mailed, opened, marked, or damaged in any way. To order your official transcripts, please contact the credit-granting institution directly. If you are submitting transcripts from countries other than the U.S., please see the international student section below.
- Personal Statement - A one-two page personal statement which includes:
- A brief description of the applicant's background, training, and experience
- A statement indicating the career goals of the applicant and his or her reasons for seeking admission to the program
- A description of the area(s) which the applicant considers to be his or her strengths and areas in which the applicant wishes to develop greater strengths and abilities
- Personal information the applicant wishes to share
- Letters of Reference - Three letters of recommendation that verify professional and/or volunteer experience and academic ability
- Résumé - A current résumé listing educational background and work experience
Once all materials are submitted the applicant will be contacted by program staff for a possible enrollment interview.
Letters of reference, resume and personal statement can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other application materials can be sent to:
Office of Admission, Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
2500 Park Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55404
If you have questions regarding admissions please contact us at (612) 728-5100 or (866) 437-2788.
Application Criteria for Students with International Transcripts
Additional application information may be required:
- English language proficiency exam (TOEFL, IELTS, or MELAB accepted)
- Course-by-course academic credential evaluation through World Education Services or Educational Credential Evaluators
Please see the International Student section for additional information.
A maximum of six semester credits earned prior to matriculation at the university may be accepted in transfer upon the recommendation of the program director and with the approval of the dean as fulfilling program requirements or as electives.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition and fees can be found here.