Rhythm of Learning
The course of studies for this program begins after Easter and concludes before Advent. Studies proceed in three phases, within a learning community that travels together through three years, each with a summer residency:
- Reading and writing to be completed at home in preparation for the summer-residency;
- 10-day summer-residency in Winona where students and faculty immerse into critical dialogue, liturgical prayer, and friendships; and,
- Post-residency assignments at home that include additional reading and writing with reference to the pastoral context of participants' local churches. (Professional Certificate and Master of Arts only)
Our programs strive to:
- Equip participants with a deep understanding of Roman Catholic canonical principles, and consequent relationships to cultures and societies;
- Demonstrate juridical skills of inquiry, discovery, and reflection for professional employees in the Roman Catholic Church and church-related organizations; and
- Inspire attitudes and skills that are compatible with lives of Roman Catholic ministerial service, especially practical participation in the polity of the Church.
The curriculum in Pastoral Ministries for the Master of Arts and Professional Certificate offers six theology courses, three pastoral skills courses (including two electives), and three integrated pastoral research (IPR) courses, for a total of 12 courses. During each of the three summer residencies, learners typically enroll in two theology courses and one pastoral skills course. Required only for the Master of Arts, the integrated pastoral research courses are registered in the three successive years and are self-managed, with completion between summer residencies. The mentorship of a professor and the associate program director are assets to insure each student's success.
Program Costs For 2011 Summer Residency
|Tuition ($345 per credit)||$3,450|
|Room & Board (includes room with private bath, all meals and snack-breaks)||$1,035|
|Meal-and snack plan for commuters||$360|
There are no other regular fees (e.g., for technology, exercise facilities, voicemail, and parking).