Admission Bookstores Careers @ SMU Commencement Ceremonies Degrees & Programs Faculty/Staff Directory Giving Opportunities Institutes & Affiliates Library - Twin Cities Library - Winona News & Communication Offices & Services Performing & Fine Arts President's Office Student Services - Twin Cities Transcripts Military & Veterans Services Writing Center - Twin Cities
Inside Pages WebTools WebMail Blackboard IT Helpdesk

Employment Options

Employment is work performed in exchange for compensation. Before accepting any kind of employment, be sure it is allowed by the F-1 regulations. Note that the off-campus employment opportunities generally require that you have been enrolled in a full course of study for one academic year (three quarters, including final exams weeks) or will complete one academic year by the date the OPT approval begins. Consult your international student adviser with any questions related to F-1 status and employment. 

F-1 status allows the following categories of employment:

  • On-campus Employment
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)
  • Severe Economic Hardship
On-campus Employment
Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
CPT is temporary employment authorization directly related to your field of study.
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Optional Practical Training (OPT) provides F-1 students with an opportunity for hands-on work experience related to the academic field of study.
Severe Economic Hardship
If you are suffering a severe economic hardship due to unforeseen changes in your financial circumstances...
Social Security Number
Social security numbers are issued to international students who are authorized for off-campus employment.