Exploring careers and choosing a major is a very individual process. To help you in this process, here is a checklist of activities to consider and participate in. Some may be more applicable than others, but all can help you clarify your options and make the right choice.
- Learn about yourself, your interests and abilities by using self-assessment tools.
- Review Saint Mary’s course catalog. The catalog shows which majors are offered at SMU.
- Register for the one-credit course Career Exploration (PD101) offered the second eight weeks of each semester.
- Research occupations that interest you and learn of new occupations to consider. Use the resource library in Career Services and/or the school library. The Career Services web site links to other sites with career information.
- Talk to faculty about specific majors.
- Talk to students in majors that interest you.
- Take classes that spark your interest.
- Interview and/or job shadow professionals working in the occupation(s) you are considering. Learn what the professionals majored in, if they went to college, and what advice they could offer you in terms of courses to take and skills to develop.
- Participate in a field exploration experience or internship.
Research... industries, employers & salaries
Check out the Occupational Outlook Handbook published by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. It contains information on a variety of careers, including salary averages, market outlook and descriptions.