Spanish Studies Abroad offers an exceptional opportunity for cross-cultural study in Barcelona, Spain. You will be enrolled in the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF). Centrally located in the heart of Barcelona, UPF is a modern day university with a fantastic array of courses. As an urban study abroad student you will be immersed in both Spanish and Catalan. You will benefit from the university's central location. Some features of the program include:
Guided direct enrollment at UPF
Guidance in synthesizing the immersion experience
Speaking Partner exchanges with local students
- Modern university facilities with full access, including clubs, organization, and events
- Day and overnight study trips and excursions
- Homestays and Meals included
- On-site Resident Director and support staff
- Courses taught in English, Spanish, and Catalan by UPF staff
In 2010, the Universitat Pompeu Fabra was awarded the distinction of International Excellence Campus by the Spanish Ministry of Education and it is widely considered to be one of the best universities in Spain, ranking 1st in scientific productivity in Spain in 2010. Founded in 1990, it is named after the Catalan philologist Pompeu Fabra.
The Barcelona, Spain semester abroad is an SMU Affiliated Program. As such, all Federal and State aid (except work study) and up to $2,000 in SMU institutional aid may be applied to the program's costs.Costs Include:
- Double occupancy room & full board
- Overnight & local study visits & cultural activities
- Health Insurance
- Computer access & high-speed internet access
- Spanish Studies transcript
- Support of onsite staff
Award recipients are chosen based on the submission of an original essay. Please see application for details: Scholarship Program Application.
Scholarship Program Instructions
Students should research the details of non-SMU scholarships for applicability and see the Director of Study Abroad for other scholarship and grant opportunities.
Apply online to the Spanish Studies Abroad. Complete the Saint Mary's required paperwork, application may be picked up in the Study Abroad Office, Saint Mary’s Hall, Room 136.
Acceptance is contingent on a thorough review of the student's application and subsequent approval from Spanish Studies.
1. Pay $300 non-refundable program deposit payable to SMU.
2. Attend all orientation sessions.
3. Obtain a passport. Submit a copy of the first page to the Study Abroad Office.
4. Obtain a student visa. Spanish immigration regulations require visa applications to be submitted at least 60 days prior to anticipated travel to Spain.
5. Arrange travel plans. Submit a copy of your flight itinerary to the Study Abroad Office.
6. Purchase the International Student Identity Card (ISIC) for $25 in the Study Abroad Office.
Just a little of what Barcelona has to offer:
- Subtropical and Mediterranean climate
- Cosmopolitan coastal city
- World class arts and entertainment
- Famous for Gaudi, Dali, Miro and Picasso
- UNESCO World Heritage sights
- Beautiful Beaches
- Fashion Center
The weather is pleasant year-round except for the rainy season in October. The winters do cool down quite a bit, especially at night. Some say that summers are unpleasantly hot, but the heat of Barcelona never compares to that of Madrid or Seville. The absolute best time to visit is spring and early summer, when the weather is perfect and the city is full of annual celebrations.
When Central Standard Time is in effect in the United States, Spain is seven hours ahead.
The currency in Spain is the Euro. Euro bank notes come in the following denominations: 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500. Coins are in denominations of 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 1 euro and 2 euro.
For more Information: