Spanish Studies Abroad offers semester programs in Córdoba, Argentina at the Universidad Nacional de Cordoba (UNC). Spanish Studies facilitates a true cross-cultural exchange by inviting students to expand their world-view through intense immersion of the culture. At UNC, Spanish Studies works in cooperation with the Programa de Espanol y Cultura Latinoamericana (PECLA), which offers a broad variety of courses in language, literature, history, and culture. PECLA's courses are designed to serve the needs of the international students who come to UNC to study. Some features of the program include:
- U.S. compatible curriculum
- Mentoring by local Argentine students
- Native Argentine professors
- All classes taught in Spanish
- On-site Resident Director and staff
- Internships and independent research projects
- All-inclusive day and overnight study trips
- Weekends for independent travel
- On-site cultural activities
Founded by the Jesuits in 1613, UNC's history is closely intertwined with the city of Cordoba. Located in the center of historic downtown, it is home to rich historical sites, architecture and resources. Students have easy access to museums, theater, nightlife, shopping and public transportation.
For the remainder of the program, students have the option of living in a residence hall or continuing to live in a home. The homestay includes full room and board and laundry once a week. There is one student per home. Student residences include double occupancy rooms with a kitchenette, two meals per day Monday through Friday, in room high speed Internet connection, laundry facilities, television room, study room, pool access and use of the sport facilities.
The Cordoba, Argentina semester abroad is an SMU Affiliated Program. As such, all Federal and State aid (except work study) and up to $2,000 in SMU institutional aid may be applied to the program's costs.
- Double occupancy room & full board
- Overnight & local study visits & cultural activities
- Health Insurance
- Computer access & high-speed internet access
- Spanish Studies transcript
- Support of onsite staff
Students should research the details of non-SMU scholarships for applicability and see the Director of Study Abroad for other scholarship and grant opportunities.
Apply online to the Spanish Studies Abroad. Complete the Saint Mary's required paperwork, application may be picked up in the Study Abroad Office, Saint Mary’s Hall, Room 136.
Acceptance is contingent on a thorough review of the student's application and subsequent approval from Spanish Studies.
1. Pay $300 non-refundable program deposit payable to SMU.
2. Attend all orientation sessions.
3. Obtain a passport. Submit a copy of the first page to the Study Abroad Office.
4. Arrange travel plans. Submit a copy of your flight itinerary to the Study Abroad Office.
5. Purchase the International Student Identity Card (ISIC) for $25 in the Study Abroad Office.
Founded as a Jesuit city by Jerónimo Luis de Cabrera in 1573, Córdoba today is recognized as a center for arts and learning in Argentina with its many universities, theaters, and museums.
Cordoba, Argentina is known for its good weather and healthy climate. The average annual temperature is 50 °F-64°F (10 °C-18 °C). Rainfall is seasonal in summer with an average of 31“ a year. There is a dry season lasting from May through November.
When Central Standard Time is in effect in the United States, Argentina is two hours ahead.
The currency in Argentina is the Peso. There are 1 cent, 5 cent, 10 cent, 25 cent, 50 cent and 1 peso coins. Paper money comes in denominations of: $2, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100.