The summer program has two three and a half week terms offering an intensive academic experience with a rich cultural component. Students participate in a full array of study tours, cultural events and social activities. All courses are taught in Spanish.
Spanish Studies facilitates a true cross-cultural exchange by inviting students to expand their world-view through intense immersion of the culture. With a strong dedication to academic integrity and an emphasis on the personal growth of the student, Spanish Studies has developed a reputation for the superior quality and value of its programs. Some features of the program include:
- A curriculum with a wide variety of course offerings
- Native Spanish professors
- Low student-professor ratios
- On-site Resident Director & staff
- Internship, volunteer & community service opportunities
- All-inclusive day & overnight study trips
- Three-day weekends for travel
- Monthly parties at the Center for American & Spanish students
CC-CS is a short walk from the University of Seville and some of Spain's most glorious and historic sites.
- Four computer labs which include 40+ PC computers available for student use
- Five patios, a library & study rooms
- Classrooms equipped with VCRs & televisions
- Daily internet access & personal email accounts
A homestay includes full room and board as well as laundry and the cleaning of your room.
Since the Seville, Spain summer abroad program does not occur during the regular academic year, Federal, State, and SMU institutional aid may not be applied to the program's costs.
Double occupancy room & full board
Overnight & local study visits & cultural activities
Computer access & high-speed internet access
Spanish Studies transcript
Support of onsite staff
CC-CS has a scholarship program that is open to all participants. Award recipients are chosen based on the submission of an original essay in Spanish, an essay in English and a faculty recommendation. Students may receive awards up to $2,500.
Students should research the details of non-SMU scholarships for applicability and see the Director of Study Abroad for other scholarship and grant opportunities.
Apply online to Spanish Studies Abroad. Complete the Saint Mary's required paperwork, application may be picked up in the Study Abroad Office, Saint Mary’s Hall, Room 136.
Acceptance is contingent on a thorough review of the student's application and subsequent approval from Spanish Studies. Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis. Spanish Studies recommends that you apply as early as possible to allow more time for pre-departure arrangements.
1. Obtain a passport. Submit a copy of the first page to the Study Abroad Office.
2. Attend all orientation sessions.
3. Arrange travel plans. Submit a copy of your flight itinerary to the Study Abroad Office.
4. Purchase the International Student Identity Card (ISIC) for $25 in the Study Abroad Office.
5. Review the health information provided to you.
Seville encompasses the culture of Southern Spain. In this picturesque city, you will discover
- Moorish palaces and renaissance garden
Flower-decked patios, paintings, and statues
Flamenco dancing and music
Bull fights at La Real Maestranza de Caballería
Siesta, tortillas, and the Spanish way of life
The best times to study abroad in Seville are fall and spring. The summer can become unbearably hot, spurring the locals to head south to the coast for more temperate weather. Winter brings rain and slightly cooler temperatures, but remains mild due to Seville's southern location.
When Central Standard Time is in effect in the United States, Spain is seven hours ahead.
The currency in Spain is the Euro. Euro bank notes come in the following denominations: 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500. Coins are in denominations of 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 1 euro and 2 euro.
For more Information: