In addition to the application, interview, resume, and essay, all scholarship candidates must choose one or more of the following scholarship requirements:
- Performance Studies or Musical Theatre concentration: monologue
- Technical or Design concentration: portfolio
- Theatre Management concentration: monlogue, portfolio, and/or research paper
- Undecided: research paper
- Prepare two contemporary monologues no longer than two minutes each (one may be a musical theatre song).
- Monologues should be chosen from published plays, not from the internet or self-authored.
- The monologues should have contrasting characters; different attitudes as well as objectives.
- Monologues should have some form of conflict or problem to solve.
- Pay close attention to what each character wants and who they are talking to.
- Pick a point straight ahead of you on which to focus the delivery of your monologue (this is your imaginary scene partner).
- Monologues should be age appropriate (the character should be your age, plus or minus a few years).
- Do not speak in a dialect or with an accent.
- Introduce yourself and state where your monologues were found. You DO NOT need to explain them.
- A chair will be provided.
- Do not use props or costumes.
- If singing, please bring piano music for an accompanist.
- Prepare a chronological visual representation of your technical and/or design work.
- Portfolios may contain such items as prompt books, programs, pictures, ground plans, renderings (costumes or sets), plots (lighting or costumes), and related paperwork (schedules, lists, charts, etc.).
- Candidates should be prepared to orally present the portfolio and talk through the processes in which the candidate was engaged.
- Portfolios should be well organized and have a professional look, as opposed to a "cute" scrapbook format.
- Candidates should write a 5-6 page theatre research paper discussing a particular area of interest.
- Research papers should include a bibliography of at least five non-internet sources.
- Papers should be type-written, double spaced, with one-inch margins.
- Remember, any ideas that are not your own should be cited throughout the paper to avoid plagiarism, including internet sources.
Judy Myers, M.F.A.
Chair, Theatre & Dance Department
Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
700 Terrace Heights #1458
Winona, MN 55987-1399
(800) 635-5987, Ext. 6686