The General Counsel provides legal counsel, manages legal risk, oversees compliance, and offers preventative advice to a wide range of university constituencies including the Board of Trustees, the President, the Vice Presidents, Deans and Program Directors, supervisors, and student organizations.
The legal services provided by the Executive Vice President and General Counsel include, but are not limited to the following:
- Drafts, reviews, and approves those policies and procedures with legal implications
- Researches and analyzes laws and regulations
- Educates and trains the university community about legal issues.
- Prepares written and verbal opinions of counsel as needed.
- Reviews, prepares, and approves contracts.
- Manages all litigation that affects the university
The Executive Vice President and General Counsel’s office is located in the Executive Office in Heffron Hall. The office is staffed year-round during regular business hours (8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.).
Ann E. Merchlewitz
(800) 635-5987, Ext. 1587
Fax: (507) 457-1566