Helping Cardinals Succeed

We understand the challenge of transitioning from living at home and relying on family to becoming part of a college community and learning independence. 

At Cardinal Central, we are here to fill that gap. We have trained student service specialists who will assist with your questions or connect you to the resources you need to make your time at Saint Mary’s successful. 

Start with us when you have questions about billing, financial aid, navigating your portal and other questions that may arise during your time at Saint Mary’s. If you are not sure where to go or who to contact, talk to us.

Financial Aid Information

Billing and Payment Information

Frequently Asked Questions

We no longer send printed or electronic bills to students or families. All billing and financial aid information is found in the Student Portal. A monthly reminder e-mail will be sent to students and responsible parties to review the portal for billing account information.

You may view your bill at any time through the Student Portal under the My Bill link in the left navigation. You may switch between terms by clicking the blue Change link in the upper left corner.

Undergraduate students have two options for paying their bill:

Standard Payment
Payment is due in full on August 5th for first semester and January 5th for second semester.

4-Payment Plan/semester
Enrollment is required through CashNet. Fall payments are due August 5th, September 5th, October 5th and November 5th. Spring payments are due January 5th, February 5th, March 5th, and April 5th.  

The My Bill section of the Student Portal offers a detailed view of all account activity. The bottom line of the red box that reads **Overall Balance is the entire amount due for the current term.

This balance may include items from previous semesters and pending financial aid.

Online by accessing CashNet from the My Bill screen in the Student Portal. Pay by electronic check (no fee) or credit/debit card (2.75% fee)

Over the phone by calling 507-457-6655 or 877-304-4273 (toll free). Please have Student ID number and payment materials ready (Credit/debit card or ACH information)

Mail a check to

Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
Business Office
700 Terrace Heights #8
Winona, MN 55987 

Did you know that parents can make payments to student accounts by using a parent pin? If interested, email Cardinal Central.

If you notice something that may be an error, please email Cardinal Central immediately.

Your account will need to be reviewed to determine if an error exists. If necessary, the account will be adjusted.

Making a payment is important, even if it isn’t the entire amount due. Lack of payment could result in being withdrawn from your class, late fees, and/or holds being placed on your account that will prohibit registration and the release of transcripts/diploma. If you have special circumstances, email Cardinal Central.

During certain periods of the year, CashNet may not reflect financial aid awards, as they have not been made official. CashNet should reflect correctly as the beginning of the semester nears. If the issue persists, please email Cardinal Central

Your financial aid award may have been adjusted, fees added, or other changes made.

If you are enrolled in a payment plan, please be sure that you are making payments through the plan to keep the plan amount accurate.

Federal and State financial aid is determined by the FAFSA.

To view and accept/decline financial aid awards
In the Student Portal, click on the My Financial Aid link on the left navigation.

Financial aid will also appear on the My Bill page. If it has been processed fully, it will appear as an item on your bill. If it has not been processed, it will be found in the Pending Financial Aid option below the bill.

Outside Scholarships and Government money
If expecting an outside scholarship, please verify with that agency whether the check will be sent directly to Saint Mary’s or if it will be sent to the student. Scholarship checks need to be turned into the Financial Aid Office to be placed on accounts.

If expecting Government funds (Americorps, GoArmyEd, VA33, MN Indian Scholarship, Dream Act, DEED, etc.), please email Cardinal Central.

Through the National Student Clearinghouse

Transcripts can be sent directly to you or a third party via mail or electronically. Each transcript is $3.00, payable by credit or debit card.

Make a transcript request

Per federal law, you must complete the FERPA form located in your Student Portal. You will need to add anyone you wish to have access to your personal information. FERPA designations can be changed at any time.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

You must fill out the FERPA Designations form in your Student Portal in order to allow Saint Mary's University faculty and staff to discuss student account details with any other person than yourself.


Additional Resources

Find Us


Saint Mary's Hall, Room 32
Winona Campus
Hours: Monday–Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
700 Terrace Heights #8
Winona, MN 55987-1399

Connect With Us

Cynthia Ostrem

Business Office Manager

Saint Mary's Hall, SM032

Campus Box: # 8

(507) 457-6690

Cynthia Ostrem
Amanda Liu

Assistant Director - Cardinal Central

Saint Mary's Hall, SM032

Campus Box: # 8

(507) 457-6937

Amanda Liu