Legal Advice and Services
The General Counsel provides legal counsel, manages legal risk, oversees compliance, and offers preventive advice to a wide range of university constituencies, including the board of trustees, the president, the vice presidents, deans, and program directors, supervisors, and student organizations.
The legal services provided include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Drafts, reviews, and approves those policies and procedures with legal implications
- Researches and analyzes laws and regulations
- Educates and trains the university community about legal issues
- Prepares written and verbal opinions of counsel as needed
- Reviews, prepares, and approves contracts
- Manages all litigation that affects the university
Heffron Hall, Executive Office
Hours: Monday–Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Office of General Counsel
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
700 Terrace Heights #30
Winona, MN 55987-1399
Connect With Us
Ann Merchlewitz, J.D.
Executive Vice President and General Counsel
Heffron Hall, HEEXEC OFF
Campus Box: # 30