Education Benefits

Federal and state veterans benefits can be found below.

To receive federal education benefits, you must file paperwork with the US Department of Veterans Affairs online and the school must certify your registration.

US Department of Veterans Affairs

If you have not used your benefits before, you will complete a 22-5495 Application for VA Benefits. Students who have used benefits before will file the Change of Program or Place of Training, 22-1995. Be sure to send your VONAPP signature page directly to the US Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA) St. Louis Office, to avoid a delay in payment.

After filing your paperwork, please submit a copy of your DD-214 and a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) to Student Central so we may certify your registration.

After your registration has been certified, the process may take up to three months before receiving your first check. We recommend registering early for all your courses each semester to speed the process along.

Please remember that any veterans education benefits you receive must be reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you have specific questions, please contact the USDVA St. Louis Office toll-free at 1-888-442-4551 or go to their web site.

Once you are certified for your benefits, you must verify your enrollment with the VA.

To verify enrollment, go to the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or call 1-877-823-2378.

Chapter 30, 1607, and 1606 recipients: Once you are certified for your benefits, you must verify your enrollment with the VA at the end of each month before you will receive your payment.

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) is available to drilling members of the Army National Guard.

This program will pay up to $4500 per Army fiscal year (Oct-Oct) towards tuition expenses including student fees.

This benefit may be used in conjunction with the GI Bill and State Tuition Reimbursement, however can only be combined with State Tuition Reimbursement to equal up to 100% of tuition charges.

The Federal Tuition Assistance program has a finite budget and is paid on a first come first serve basis, so it is important to apply early.

The benefit is paid directly to the University at the beginning of each semester. You are required to earn a “C” or better in your classes, or in the event of a class taken pass/fail you must “pass.” Failure to earn at least “C” or “pass” may result in repayment of FTA.

Rules change frequently in this program depending on the availability of funds. Please check with your unit for updates!

State Education Programs

The Minnesota GI Bill provides financial assistance to Minnesota veterans and service members who served on or after September 11, 2001. Full-time undergraduate or graduate students may be eligible to receive up to $1000 per term and part-time students can receive up to $500 per term.

Educational benefits are provided in the form of a maximum $750 one-time grant to veterans who have exhausted their federal benefits. Applications and requirements can be found on the Minnesota Department of Veteran Affairs web site.

Minnesota State Tuition Reimbursement is available to eligible soldiers and airmen in the Minnesota National Guard.