Prepare for Your K–12 Reading Teacher License
Learn to develop effective instruction to support struggling readers or students whose first language is not English. This program prepares you for licensure as a K–12 Reading Teacher.
Watch Our Webinar
TEACHERS: NEXT STEP FOR YOUR CAREER
Learn how to achieve your career goals in teaching. Watch our webinar if you are looking to get your master's degree or graduate certificate, enhance your salary with career training, add another license, or go into administration.
If you are a licensed educator, you can enroll in our 17 credit (seven courses) Graduate Certificate in K–12 Reading Teacher program to prepare for the K–12 Reading license in Minnesota or the 316 Reading Teacher license in Wisconsin.
Once you have finished the licensure preparation as a K–12 Reading Teacher, you may continue on to complete 17 additional credits (seven courses) to earn the Master of Arts in Literacy Education. If you direct or coordinate reading programs, you will benefit from completing this degree. Minnesota candidates become Reading Leaders, and Wisconsin candidates become Reading Specialists, once portfolio and other licensure requirements are met.
What You'll Gain
Consistent with the mission of Saint Mary's University of Minnesota and the Board of Teaching requirements for licensure as a reading specialist, the M.A. in Literacy Education/K–12 Reading Teacher expects its graduates to be able to do the following:
- Understand the reading process and the process of learning to read, and design developmentally appropriate instruction that advances students' reading proficiency and encourages them to read
- Understand how to assess the reading development of individual students and groups of students, how to use assessment data to design appropriate reading curriculum and instruction based on the assessment data, and how to communicate this information to relevant audiences
Know how to integrate knowledge of reading with the teacher's understanding of pedagogy, students, learning, classroom management, and professional and instructional development and leadership
After six of Tatanka's teachers finished coursework at Saint Mary's in literacy education, they can now use the same terminology and strategies to help readers improve from one grade to the next.
Program graduates and their students talk about the changes they saw in the year following the completion of the program.
From Start to Finish
- Prepare for your K–12 Reading Teacher license in as little as 18 months.
- Finish the K-12 Reading Teacher licensure preparation in only four semesters. Courses are conveniently offered one Saturday a month for three semesters and one weekend per month for one semester.
- Complete the M.A. in Literacy Education plus the K–12 Reading Teacher license preparation in two and a half years.
Preparation for the K–12 Reading Teacher license is offered at our Twin Cities location and regional cohorts in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Upon completion of the licensure preparation, you may continue on to finish the M.A. in Literacy Education at our Twin Cities location.