The study of English provides a timeless foundation for career success and lifelong intellectual growth.
The English Department at Saint Mary’s helps students hone their skills as clear and creative communicators and insightful interpreters of the written word. Student at Saint Mary's benefit from an excellent roster of faculty who are published writers and scholars and active in their discipline. They bring a passion for teaching and learning, excitement, and professional insights into their classrooms.
A Foundation for Many Careers
Majoring in English lays the groundwork for a wide array of careers, including: business and management, teaching, marketing, publishing, advertising, law, journalism, public relations, and writing. Almost every student at Saint Mary’s takes at least one class offered by the English Department.
Goals for Our Students
- Read literary and non-literary texts with understanding and insight
- Write effectively in academic and professional genres
- Conduct research efficiently and honestly
- Understand the significance of writers and works in their social and historical contexts
- Understand how works reflect and express diverse cultural perspectives
- Assess the value of various critical approaches to literary and humanistic questions