Art and Design
Saint Mary's provides a creative environment with opportunities for students to cultivate aesthetic diversity and enrich cultural awareness.
Our art and design programs offer state-of-the-art facilities where you take hands-on courses with small class sizes and direct interaction with experienced faculty.
Art Galleries on Campus
Two galleries on campus are available for the enrichment of all students and the local community: The Lillian Davis Hogan Galleries in the Toner Student Center, and a student gallery in the art and design building.
Goals for Our Students
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of design fundamentals and vocabulary
- Recognize major figures and movements in art history, and draw connections between historic and contemporary trends
- Identify and discuss major uses of the visual arts in our society: communication of information, transmission of religious/spiritual values, social/political action, utilitarian design, personal expression, and environmental enhancement
- Think creatively and critically
- Analyze a work of art, using correct terminology and proper art criticism criteria