Admission Bookstores Careers @ SMU Commencement Ceremonies Degrees & Programs Faculty/Staff Directory Giving Opportunities Institutes & Affiliates Library - Twin Cities Library - Winona News & Communication Offices & Services Performing & Fine Arts President's Office Student Services - Twin Cities Transcripts Military & Veterans Services Writing Center - Twin Cities
Inside Pages WebTools WebMail Blackboard IT Helpdesk

Applying for the I-20

Information for New International Students

This section covers basic information that new international students need to have upon admittance to Saint Mary's Schools of Graduate and Professional Programs. 

I-20 Application
Requesting an I-20

To apply for an I-20, the student must contact the international student adviser and provide the information below.

  1. A copy of the Saint Mary’s acceptance letter showing admittance at a regular or provisional status in a degree-seeking program.
  2. A completed I-20 application form.
  3. A photocopy of the student’s passport.
  4. Submitted proof of financial responsibility and other supporting documents as requested by the university. Financial responsibility will be proven by the student’s submission of official documentation of cash resources in an amount equal to or greater than the cost of tuition, fees and books and living expenses for one academic year.
  5. A non-refundable tuition deposit of $1,000 is required before the release of the I-20 to the student. If the student is denied a visa, the deposit will be refunded upon receipt of the official denial letter from the embassy.

The university will mail all I-20s via regular mail unless the student covers the cost of express delivery system.

It is recommended that students who reside outside the U.S. complete the I-20 application process no later than two months prior to the semester in which they plan to attend the university.

Upon receipt of the I-20, the student must submit the I-20 to a U.S. Embassy or consulate to apply for a F-1 Student Visa.

Transferring your SEVIS Record and Issue of New I-20

A student transferring from a school within the United States must apply for a new I-20 as outlined above and also have the electronic SEVIS record transferred to Saint Mary’s. Please notify the international student adviser at the current school of the intention to transfer, provide a copy of the acceptance letter to Saint Mary’s, request completion of the I-20 Transfer form and request the SEVIS record be transferred to Saint Mary’s.

Only your current school has access to your SEVIS record; therefore, Saint Mary’s cannot issue a new I-20 until your SEVIS record is transferred.

You must check-in at the Office of Student Services within 10 business days of the semester start date.

Visas and Entry into the U.S.
Information on the visa process
New Student Orientation


If you have further questions, please contact Student Central at (612) 238-4566 or for programs administered out of the Twin Cities campus or Winona campus.