Parents and Families
Thank you for entrusting us with your students as they prepare themselves for a meaningful life and career.
At Saint Mary’s University, our graduates gain the advanced knowledge, skills, and critical-thinking abilities necessary to be: lifelong learners, successful workers, good neighbors, and ethical citizens. Career Services supports this mission by assisting students in acquiring essential career readiness skills, and answering the major career questions they will face throughout their life:
- Who Am I?
- Where Am I Going?
- What Will It Be Like?
- How Will I Get There?
According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), employers are looking for essential career-readiness competencies, including:
- Written and oral communications skills
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Career management
- Critical thinking / problem solving skills
- Digital / technology competencies
- Global / intercultural fluency
The majors and course curriculum emphasize the development of those skills. Career Services supports and extends those efforts through a variety of services including:
- Career and major assessments
- Courses for credit
- Resume review
- Career fairs
- Mock interviews
- Graduate school application support
- Employer spotlights and visits
- Video interview room
- One-on-one sessions
Support Your Student's Career Development
As you look for ways to support your student’s career planning and development, consider these strategies:
- Encourage your student to schedule an appointment with Career Services as early in their college career as possible
- Direct them to Handshake (our Career Services web platform) to find valuable work experience through part-time work on-and-off-campus and internships.
- Support their exploration of a wide variety of majors and careers as they make these vital decisions during their college career
- Connect them to leaders in industries, communities, and businesses that will help them make informed decisions about their future
- Consider signing your business or employer up to participate in our Career Fair, sponsor an internship, or host informational interviews