Students are strongly encouraged to read these newsletter each week, as this is our primary way of communicating with you. Continue to check smumn.edu/covidplanning for new, added, and updated information regularly.
Here are a few things to know:
- The student handbook is now published online including COVID-19 addendums.
- If you have COVID-19 related questions that cannot be answered by visiting smumn.edu/covidplanning, contact Saint Mary’s at COVID@smumn.edu or by phone at 507-457-1614.
- If you are on campus and need services from the Jay Johnson Wellness Center, please call the office first at 507-457-1492. The staff will ask a few questions and direct you to next steps.
- The Office of Residence Life is requesting students who did not return their residence hall room keys in May drop off their keys at the Office of Campus Safety when they return to campus. Keys will be collected through Friday, Aug. 28.
- The Gostomski Fieldhouse will be open for students starting Thursday, Aug. 20, with limited hours, before returning to normal hours on Monday, Aug. 24. In addition, you will have to reserve your workout block, and workouts will be limited to 45 minutes in a one-hour block.
- In accordance with the governor of the state of Minnesota, masks are strongly encouraged to be worn outdoors when it is not possible to consistently maintain social distancing.
- Students who are on ground in Winona and have family members at home with health concerns that meet the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will be allowed to stay on campus and safely quarantine for 14 days prior to departing for home if we moved to online education. These students must be pre-registered and approved through health services by emailing email@example.com by Tuesday, Sept. 1.
On the Winona Campus, Saint Mary’s will be a Mayo Clinic test site for fall 2020. Students who are experiencing symptoms associated with COVID-19 are encouraged to be tested at the Wellness Center (or Winona Health). Testing at the Wellness Center will be billed to a student’s health insurance provider. If the student does not have insurance, we are working with Mayo Clinic on how the $62 cost would be covered.
The university will not be engaged in any mass testing of students, following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH).
All faculty and staff are required to notify Human Resources if they are experiencing any symptoms associated with COVID-19. They are further required to notify Human Resources of any positive COVID-19 test. Similarly, all students are required to notify the Wellness Center if they are experiencing any symptoms associated with COVID-19. They are further required to notify the Wellness Center of any positive COVID-19 test.
Online or in-person classes
During the past weeks, a dedicated group of faculty, academic administrators, and maintenance staff across the university has been working to update room assignments for the courses that will be taught on our campuses this fall. At the College, the need to de-densify classrooms has meant that many courses required new locations, and the bulk of that work has just been completed and shared. Where we have identified space constraints, faculty have graciously agreed to move courses online. Students are being notified about classes that have moved online.
Fall classroom experience
As you would expect, the in-classroom experience will be different this year, as we all work together to deliver the Saint Mary’s learning experiences while safeguarding the health and safety of students and instructors. Classroom furniture is being rearranged to maintain an appropriate distance between students and faculty. Classroom furniture should not be moved from designated locations. Tape has been placed to mark the appropriate spacing. Classrooms will be cleaned nightly and equipped with sanitizing wipes for everyone to use in disinfecting their chairs and writing surfaces. Please move quickly through the halls and stairways without congregating on the way to and from class. Masks will be worn at all times when inside Saint Mary’s buildings, including in the classroom, as well as outside when 6 feet of physical distance cannot be reliably maintained.
Preparing for your arrival
This past weekend, resident assistants were invited back to campus. It has been wonderful seeing these student leaders, and we look forward to welcoming all our students in just over a week. The resident assistants have started their training, most of which is online, and will be ready for your return. New students, here is your Welcome Weekend schedule.
Videos showing campus changes
Many dedicated individuals have been working hard to ensure the campus is ready for your return. Watch these videos to show how we’ve reconfigured campus spaces to meet social distance guidelines and make them safer for your return.
In addition to the dining room, other dining areas have been set up in the gameroom, President’s Room, Toner Student Center Lounge, and gym lobby. Each table is socially distanced and has four chairs. Please refrain from moving the chairs or tables, as they are set up to adhere with the Minnesota Department of Health’s guidelines for restaurants and bars. Students are also encouraged to eat their meals in the newly remodeled plaza or their residence hall rooms.