Student Consumer Information

Notice of Availability of Institutional and Financial Aid Information

In accordance with federal law, current and prospective students and their parents have the right to know certain information about Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota including a variety of academic information, financial aid information, institutional information, and information on graduation rates, campus safety, and equity in athletics.

As part of Saint Mary’s compliance with federal law, we offer the reference list below. If there are items not included below that might be useful, please contact the undergraduate Office of Admission at 507-457-1700 or

Contact Information for Assistance in Obtaining Institutional or Financial Aid Information

College Financial Aid information
Schools of Graduate and Professional Programs Financial Aid information

State Authorization for Online and Distance Education

Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota is obligated to comply with federal and state law regarding the delivery of distance education.  

State Authorization

General Institutional Information

Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota (SMUMN) is committed to respecting all members of our university community and providing a quality educational experience for all students. The objective of the Student Complaint Policy and Procedure is to ensure that the concerns and complaints of undergraduate or graduate students are addressed fairly and are resolved promptly. Complaints related to this policy are usually the result of behavior that the student feels is unjust, inequitable, or creates an unnecessary hardship.

Students may file complaints if they believe a problem is not governed by SMUMN's other complaint or appeal procedures. Many of the other complaint policies may be found in the SMUMN Student Handbooks and Catalogs. If there is a question regarding which appeal or complaint procedure is the most appropriate, students should contact the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Services (Schools of Graduate and Professional Programs) or the Dean of Students (College). After consulting with the student, the Associate Vice President or the Dean or their representatives will direct the student to the most appropriate procedure.


Whenever possible, students are encouraged to seek an informal resolution of the matter directly with the faculty or individual(s) involved. Often a complaint can be resolved in this way. However, if an informal approach is neither successful nor advisable, the student should use the following procedure:

A student complaint form should be submitted to the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Services or the Dean of Students. It should contain (at a minimum) the date and time of the alleged conflict or action, the reason(s) for the complaint, a summary of the complaint, a list of other persons who may provide information, and any appropriate documentation. The student must also include the resolution or outcome he or she is seeking. The complaint must be submitted within ten (10) business days of the alleged conflict or action.

Students attending the university as online students, regardless of their state of residence, should contact the State Portal Agent at the Minnesota Office of Higher Education for complaints that cannot be resolved with this university complaint process.

See Catalog and Student Handbook for full policy and procedure.