Career Services is gearing up for another great year. In addition to the Career Services Office expanding its services and resources to all alumni (including alumni from our Schools of Graduate and Professional Programs on the Twin Cities and Rochester campuses), some things to note for the Winona Campus this year include:
Three career fairs this fall will be available to students virtually:
- The Fall 2020 Recruiting Fair (sponsored by Minnesota Colleges and Universities Career Services Association – MCUCSA) will be held Friday, Sept. 25, noon to 4 p.m. This is a “Big Firms Fair” focusing on large Minnesota and national firms who do most of their recruiting and hiring in the fall. Details will follow.
- The Career and Internship Expo, co-sponsored by Saint Mary’s and Winona State University, will be held on Wednesday, Oct. 21, 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- MCUCSA will also sponsor its annual Government and Nonprofit Jobs Fair on Friday, Oct. 30, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
All workshops, one-on-one meetings, classroom visits, etc., will be conducted virtually. A workshop schedule will be released soon, but you can set up an appointment for a one-on-one meeting. For résumé review, send to firstname.lastname@example.org for feedback.
- To search and apply for on-campus student worker positions (as well as off-campus, part-time jobs, full-time jobs, and internships), visit smumn.joinhandshake.com. A profile has been established for you, so log on to Handshake using your Saint Mary’s username and password.
- There will be no student worker jobs fair this fall.
- The video interview room has moved; reserve the video interview room. Details for the new room will be forwarded after the space is reserved.
As always, contact the Career Services Office at 507-457-6695 or email@example.com for any career-related assistance.
Library and Writing Center
During fall semester, Saint Mary’s library and Writing Centers will offer robust virtual services to better support student and faculty needs. Students can consult with a librarian via phone, chat, email, and Zoom appointments. Writing Center consultants and peer tutors will be available for appointments via Zoom and email. Students can contact the Writing Center via email or telephone with brief writing questions. The Writing Center appointment calendar and online resources will be available at our new, unified Writing Center website, which will launch Monday, Aug. 17.
The library and Writing Center will not offer face-to-face consultations or library instruction due to COVID-19 social distancing constraints. But the Winona Campus library will be open. All library space has been reconfigured to allow for social distancing. As required on the entire Saint Mary’s campus, masks must be worn in all library common spaces. Physical items will be available for check out, with a self checkout system set up at the front circulation desk to avoid contact. You will also be able to place holds on books and pick them up at the circulation desk. Library staff will be at the front desk to assist as needed. Read all Winona Campus library updates.
Tutoring and Peer Learning Assistants
Tutoring and Peer Learning Assistants will be available online through a new app this year. There will be no in-person, face-to-face tutoring. On Monday, Aug. 31, students will receive the link to sign up and meet online with a tutor. Watch your email for updates.
Saint Mary’s has a continuing commitment to providing reasonable accommodations for students with documented disabilities. Like so many things this fall, the need for accommodations and the process for arranging them may be altered due to the safety protocols currently in place. Students with disabilities who may need accommodations are urged to contact the Access Services Office as soon as possible to explore what arrangements need to be made. During the fall 2020 semester, the Access Services Office can be reached by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, contacting Karen Hemker at email@example.com, or scheduling an appointment for a Zoom meeting using Google Calendar.
Our policies and procedures regarding testing in the Student Success Center for students with disabilities have also changed due to COVID-19. Please refer to the student section of the Access Services website, for additional information and announcements for students with disabilities.