By LMS Taskforce
When is Blackboard going away?
Blackboard will be going away for student use on June 1, 2021. That means you will no longer have access to your prior course materials, submitted assignments, feedback, and resources. Remember final grades can be retrieved through your student portal.
When will Canvas be live?
Canvas is already live! You can log into it at smumn.instructure.com using your Saint Mary’s username (not your whole email address, just what comes before “@”) and password. Feel free to explore. If you can’t log in, firstname.lastname@example.org can help. We highly recommend looking at the “Canvas at SMU” course, which is a non-graded training course that will get you started. Check out the Canvas Community page for more information and a video tutorial.
What do I need to do?
- Get trained on the new learning management system (LMS): You are automatically enrolled in a self-paced training called Passport to Canvas, which should help you learn the basics of the new system.
- Transfer any needed data out of Blackboard.
- Important: If you are an undergraduate who is part of the new general education program — starting in 2018 or later — you must download any artifacts and reflections you may have uploaded to your IGEP or Integratus Portfolio courses. These courses cannot be migrated and you will need to have copies of these documents to use in our new portfolio solution.
- You may be in charge of a club or organization that used a Blackboard course to communicate. If you can’t transfer that information yourself, please email
- Download any student work you want to save from Blackboard. This information cannot be migrated and must be saved manually. Go into your past courses and click into your assignments. Any papers, assignments, or other work that you may have uploaded to Blackboard must be downloaded from those courses if you want to save it. (And it’s a good idea to do so!)
What if I have questions or need support?