In response to questions about our Twin Cities Campus emergency preparedness as it relates to the trial of Derek Chauvin, the following is provided to assist you in planning for an emergency, such as a campus lockdown and shelter in place or a campus evacuation.
An emergency response team has reviewed the university’s emergency response protocols and continues to monitor the status of the trial and any related unrest. Any action taken on campus will be communicated by phone, text, email, and the phone paging system. Please make sure your emergency contact information is up to date in the portal.
If you’re on campus, take a moment to assess your surroundings and familiarize yourself with exits and designated shelter areas in the building. Plan for alternative routes to get home in the event of road closures.
In the event of a lockdown and shelter-in-place situation, please use the following as guidelines:
- Shelter in your office or classroom and lock the doors, or move quickly to a safe location such as the designated tornado shelter area in your building. In the event of an active shooter, turn off lights, silence phones/computers, and remain quiet.
- Shelter in place until campus safety has given the all clear to resume normal activities or until directed to evacuate the building and campus.
In the event of an emergency campus evacuation, please use the following as guidelines:
- Follow directions of Campus Safety personnel and their designees.
- Remain calm.
- Bring only essential personal items and work items with you in the event of long-term campus closure.
- Be prepared to use your alternate routes home.
- Follow traffic laws.
- Monitor the situation upon safe arrival at home.
If it is determined necessary to close the campus for a period of time, we will do our best to make this determination the evening prior and notify you through email and text. Please monitor your email in the morning prior to traveling to campus for any updates.
Finally, if you are on the Twin Cities Campus and notice something of concern, please contact Campus Security at 612-720-0417.