Join our team of Residence Life staff members at Saint Mary’s! Applications to become a resident assistant (RA) for the 2021-22 academic year are now open. If you’re interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the application form. Applications are due Friday, Feb. 19.
RAs are integral to the Residence Life staff. Living and working directly with the residents of a hall, RAs facilitate the growth of individuals, establish a sense of community, and contribute to the effective management and operation of the residence hall. Through training and direct supervision, these individuals will be exposed to many different developmental experiences. This leadership position provides our RAs with a unique opportunity to further develop their own self-awareness and interpersonal communication skills that are vital for success in many areas of life.
Applicants must have completed a minimum of one college semester of live-in experience in a residence hall. Also, they must be enrolled in at least 12, but no more than 18, hours of academic credit each semester and maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA and a 2.0 semester GPA. We encourage our RAs to participate in extracurricular activities but these must be limited in order to dedicate ample time to the position.
- Share responsibility for weekday and weekend evening area coverage
- Attend monthly meetings, along with workshops and/or training sessions, as specified by the Office of Residence Life
- Participate in hall opening and closing
- Respond to emergency situations by making use of appropriate resources and contacting appropriate university personnel. In the case of long absences, sickness, accidents and/or unusual behavior, the RA is expected to report the situation to his or her hall director immediately.
- Maintain open communication with his or her hall director
- Attend and contribute to hall staff meetings on a weekly basis
- Plan and implement hall and campus programs, as directed by the Office of Residence Life such as Halloween Fun Night
- Maintain the physical aspects of the hall to ensure cleanliness and report any needed repairs
- Uphold all university policies and document situations when appropriate
- Help promote the RA position throughout the staff selection process
- Perform other duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or Office of Residence Life
Contact the Office of Residence Life at email@example.com with any questions or to request an application.