- Leverage your new skills and expertise to pursue certification from the GIS Certification Institute.
- Hands-on experience with optional paid applied learning experiences through GeoSpatial Services (GSS) — a unique on-campus project center at Saint Mary’s that is nationally recognized with clients such as the National Park Service and the Bureau of Land Management.
What You'll Learn
- Analyze geospatial data
- Demonstrate proficiency in data collection and database administration
- Develop custom applications and scripts for visualization and analytics
- Engage in complex critical thinking
- Best practices of integrated technology
- Ethical implications of data handling and decision-making
Virtual Information Session
CEO shatters the status quo
Kendis Scharenbroich M’00 says that everything she learned through Saint Mary’s M.S. in Data Intelligence and GeoAnalytics program has come into play as CEO in a male-dominated industry.
“Saint Mary’s stood out above and beyond, and not only did they focus on core GIS technology, but they also taught programming and had a focus on communications, public speaking, and writing,” she says. “That breadth and diversity of the course work has served me well throughout my entire career.”
Ready to apply? Learn about taking the next steps.
- Applicants may apply for admission to master’s degree programs at any time during the year.
- Applicants must have completed an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution and maintained an overall grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale.
Students with transcripts from universities outside the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, and Canada (except for the Quebec Province) must take and pass English proficiency testing.
Saint Mary’s accepts:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 72
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum score of 6.0
- Michigan Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) with a minimum score of 74%
- International Test of English Proficiency (ITEP) with a minimum score of 4.0 or Pearson Test of English with a score of 51
- Duolingo with a minimum score of 100.
Your application must include the following items:
- A completed application form
- An official transcript(s) issued to Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota from the institution posting the applicant’s completed bachelor degree and other relevant transcripts documenting program prerequisites and potential transfer credits. (An official transcript is one that is sent to the university by the credit-granting institution.
- An official transcript is one that is sent to the university by the credit-granting institution.
- Transcripts from countries other than the U.S. must be evaluated on a course by course basis by a university accepted evaluation service, such as World Education Services, Educational Credential Evaluators, Educational Perspectives, or One Earth International Credential Evaluators and be deemed equivalent to accredited U.S. university standards.
- Evaluations from an approved member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES.org) will also be accepted.
- A personal statement that includes the following:
- brief description of the applicant’s background, training, and experience; and
- statement indicating the career goals of the applicant and their reasons for seeking admission to the program; and
- description of the areas the applicant considers to be their strengths and areas in which the applicant wishes to develop greater strengths and abilities; and
- personal information the applicant wishes to share.
- Names of two people (including title, organization, email, phone number) who could serve as professional references, if needed, during the application review process
- A current résumé listing educational background and work experience.
Official Transcripts should be sent to Office of Admission
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
2500 Park Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55404
Or electronically: email@example.com
Please reach out with any questions about the application process.
Phone: (612) 728-5100
Toll-free: (866) 437-2788
August 4, 2023; December 1, 2023; April 5, 2024
Contact your Enrollment Counselor to learn when our program starts.
You can expect to be notified about your acceptance approximately two weeks following your application completion date.
Tuition & Fees
We help you find ways to finance your education. Talk to your Enrollment Counselor about scholarships, loans, and other ways to make your education affordable.
You’ll take courses such as:
- Data Engineering
- Python Programming for Technology Applications
- Relational Database Design and Administration
- Data Modeling and Forecasting with Geo-AI (Artificial Intelligence)
The course catalog provides complete information about course requirements.
Geoanalytics provides new insights for decision-making in everything from manufacturing to natural resources. Career opportunities are just as diverse and offer generous salaries and room for advancement throughout your career.
Computer and Information Research Specialist$131,490 per year*
GIS Developer$91,000 per year*
Urban Planner$78,500 per year*
Advance your career with flexible programs designed for busy professionals.
Frequently Asked Questions
At Saint Mary’s, we want you to succeed, and we help you do so, inside and outside of the classroom:
Student Central: Your one-stop for student services.
Library: Resources and services are available 24/7 to all students.
Writing Center: Offers virtual and face-to-face services to support students.
Career Services: Can help you develop your career-readiness skills at any point in your education.
The only thing virtual about your online experience is the classroom. Our flexible online programs offer the rigor and reputation you expect from Saint Mary’s.
If you are in a degree-granting program and enrolled at least half time, you may be eligible for financial aid.
Life gets busy. Whether you’re raising a family, pursuing your career, or playing an active role in your community, we know you want to keep up with what you love while you take the next step in your career. That’s why Saint Mary’s online programs are flexible and designed to fit your demanding life.
News from the School of the School of Business and Technology
Sources and Disclaimer
- LinkedIn, LinkedIn’s 2017 U.S. Emerging Jobs Report at https://economicgraph.linkedin.com/research/LinkedIns-2017-US-Emerging-Jobs-Report#:~:text=Low%20supply%20of%20talent%20for,of%20candidates%20for%20these%20roles (visited May 27, 2023)
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Computer and Information Research Scientists at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm (visited May 23, 2023).
- Minnesota GIS/LIS Consortium, 2020 Salary Survey Results at https://www.mngislis.org/news/544487/2020-Salary-Survey-Results.htm (visited May 27, 2022).
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Urban and Regional Planners, at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/urban-and-regional-planners.htm (visited May 10, 2023)