Become an Accounting Leader
Developed by accounting professionals and educators, the M.S. in Accounting program equips you with technical and managerial skills that serve leaders well. You’ll take online courses that explore forensic accounting, advanced audit controls, financial communication, and more, all in a flexible format that meets the needs of busy professionals. Our unique approach gives students from both accounting and non-accounting backgrounds the opportunity to advance faster in their careers.
- CPA Exam Credit & Discount
- Affordable Tuition
- 100% Online
- Innovative Course Topics
- Ideal for both accounting and non-accounting backgrounds
Our 30-credit curriculum is full of cutting-edge accounting methods along with management, leadership, and strategy to give you everything you’ll need to lead. With innovative courses like forensic accounting and non-profit accounting, you can apply what you learn in class to your career the next day.
Stackable Graduate Certificates
Saint Mary’s offers graduate certificates that you can stack with your online master’s in accounting to accelerate your advancement potential. Choose from the following:
Share Your Success
Saint Mary’s supports your success by providing you with the tools necessary to not only achieve your professional goals but to share them with the world—especially the digital world.
As part of our commitment, Saint Mary’s offers an opportunity for you to be awarded digital badges. Digital badges are a graphic verification representing your achievement after completing a specific online course or program.
Saint Mary’s online Master of Science in Accounting (MSA) program requires the following:
- An undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- A minimum GPA of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale (If your overall GPA is below 2.75, you may receive provisional status in the program at the discretion of the MSA program director
A bachelor’s degree in accounting is not required for admission to the MSA degree program. Based on the courses you have taken and your experience, you may be required to take prerequisite courses or a general principles of accounting course to be successful in the program.
GMAT and GRE scores are not required.
You may transfer a maximum of six semester credits earned before admittance upon recommendation of the program director and with approval of the dean.
All transfer credits are also subject to both graduate school and programmatic criteria.
Students with transcripts from universities outside the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, and Canada (except for the Quebec Province) are required to take and pass English proficiency testing.
- Saint Mary’s accepts the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 72
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum score of 6.0
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) with a minimum score of 74 percent
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a minimum score of 51
- International Test of English Proficiency (ITEP) with a minimum score of 4.0
Whether you apply through our online application via hard copy, or in-person with a Saint Mary’s enrollment counselor, your application must include the following items:
- $25 non-refundable application fee: Note that Saint Mary’s alumni, students seeking readmission, veterans, and active military personnel are exempt from this application fee
- Official transcripts: An official transcript issued to Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota from the institution posting the applicant’s completed degree and other relevant transcripts documenting program prerequisites and potential transfer credits must be sent separately and directly from your institution. Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota accepts official transcripts electronically from previously attended institutions. Transcripts should be sent to email@example.com or mailed to:
Transcript Processing Center
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
851 Trafalgar Court, Suite 420
Maitland, FL 32751
- A written statement: Your written statement is an opportunity to share your path to accounting, any previous experiences or education, and how you envision your future career.How will Saint Mary’s online Master of Science in Accounting program help you achieve your goals? Share any strengths you bring to the program and other personal information that you feel adds to your application
- Two references: Please provide the names of two people (including title, organization, email, and phone number) who can serve as professional references, if needed, during the application review process. The best references are those who know you professionally, such as current or former supervisors
- An up-to-date résumé: Include both your educational and professional experience
Upcoming application deadlines for Saint Mary’s online MSA:
- Spring: December 18, 2023
- Summer: April 22, 2024
- Fall: August 20, 2024
Saint Mary’s online MSA offers Spring, Fall, and Winter start dates:
- Spring: January 8, 2024
- Summer: May 6, 2024
- Fall: September 3, 2024
Once you’ve submitted your application, expect to be notified about acceptance approximately two weeks after your submission date.
Tuition & Fees
A college education is invaluable. You can take it wherever you want to go or as far as you want to go. The cost of quality education should not get in the way of reaching your goals. Here at Saint Mary’s, we are committed to providing a quality education that is accessible and affordable.
Explore cost breakdowns for tuition and other fees of the Master’s in Accounting program.
Careers & Salary
From courses in leadership to communication, the core of this curriculum prepares you for advancement into diverse leadership and management positions, including strategic cost management and information systems management.
If you're looking to advance into management or take on financial strategy in a new sector, opportunities in accounting are growing. Projections from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics indicate that employers will post an average of 126,500 accountant and auditor jobs each year from 2022 to 2032.1 Plus, many accounting careers offer impressive salaries, such as:
Finance and Insurance Accountants and Auditors$81,0201
Accountants and Auditors Overall$78,0001
Prepare for CPA and CMA Licensure
Receive credits toward those required to sit for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam, and learn content knowledge to help prepare you for the CPA exam and/or the Certified Management Accountant (CMA) certification while earning your degree.* As a student in this program, you’ll receive a $700 discount for the CMA Platinum Review Course and a $750 discount on the CPA Gold Review Course.**
What You'll Learn
As a graduate of this program, you will be able to:
- Use advanced accounting knowledge to address organizational issues
- Evaluate complex accounting situations
- Assess emerging and global accounting issues that can contribute to organizational success
- Articulate a process for making ethical decisions
- Manage accounting teams to achieve established goals
- Communicate complex financial information in a clear and concise manner
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes the M.S. in Accounting unique from other online master’s programs?
The Master’s in Accounting from Saint Mary’s was designed by real-world practitioners who developed the curriculum based on the needs of the current marketplace. The curriculum is tailored to provide you with management and accounting expertise so that you are equipped with the skills to thrive in your current position and advance to the next level in your career.
Will I learn practical skills in this program?
This program is an applied learning program, meaning you will learn practical and relevant skills you can apply to your career immediately.
Will my degree say that it is from an online program?
No. The degree you earn online from Saint Mary's University is identical to the degree offered on campus.
How long does the program take?
The online M.S. in Accounting consists of 30 credits, or 10 courses of 3 credit hours each, and takes about 20 months to complete.
Will I be required to attend online classes during set times?
No. As long as you submit your assignments by the time they are due, you can work and study when it is most convenient for you.
What are the admissions requirements?
Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution, along with a GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.00. Further information about admissions requirements and the application process can be found on this page.
Is financial aid available?
Yes. Many different types of financial aid are available to those who qualify. To discuss tuition rates and several different financial aid options, call 877-308-9954 to speak with an enrollment counselor.
Can credits used in my program assist with the credits needed for the CPA exam and/or CMA certification?
Yes. While completing your master’s degree, you can work toward the 150 credits required to become a Certified Public Accountant (CPA)* and gain content knowledge to prepare you for the CPA exam and/or the Certified Management Accountant (CMA) exam.
Is this program accredited?
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Is there a campus residency requirement, or is the program entirely online?
While the program is primarily online, for the Master’s Capstone course, you will be required to present findings to colleagues and professionals in the field.
Can I transfer credits from another university and graduate program?
It is possible to transfer credits from another university if the course descriptions match the descriptions of Saint Mary's courses. The program director will review any possible credit transfers.
Is this a self-paced program?
No, these are instructor-led courses. While there are no set class times, there are assignments with set due dates.
What type of support is available to me? What if I have a question about homework or need help with a technical issue?
All of the support systems available to on-campus students at Saint Mary's University are available for online learners as well. If you need academic support, a team of advisers is ready to assist. Professors are just a phone call or email away, and every online Saint Mary's University student is paired with a dedicated student services coordinator who will make sure your educational and professional goals stay on track. Technical support is also available to online students 24/7 at 877-308-9954 ext. 3.
How do I get started?
Your journey to a more rewarding accounting career starts by calling 877-308-9954 to speak with an enrollment counselor, or you can request more information and we’ll reach out to you.
Sources and Disclaimers
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, “Accountants and Auditors.” Retrieved September 7, 2023, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/accountants-and-auditors.htm.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, “Financial Managers.” Retrieved September 7, 2023, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/financial-managers.htm.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, “Financial Analysts.” Retrieved September 7, 2023, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-analysts.htm.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, “Budget Analysts.” Retrieved September 7, 2023, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/budget-analysts.htm.
*Certification requirements vary by state; it is the responsibility of individual students to review all requirements and criteria for the state in which they are seeking certification. Learn more about professional licensure here.
** You must use your Saint Mary’s email to purchase these products, or you run the risk of losing access to the materials after you purchase them. Emails are routinely monitored to ensure compliance.