Succeed in Human Resources Management
Prepare to achieve your goals in human resources management with Saint Mary’s online program. You’ll complete online coursework that provides the flexibility that busy professionals expect. While learning from expert faculty, you’ll explore concepts related to areas where human resources managers thrive, including training and development, labor relations, compensation and benefits, and HR analytics.
- Receive HRCI and SHRM Certification Preparation
- The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) has acknowledged that the Master’s in Human Resource Management program at Saint Mary’s University fully aligns with SHRM’s Human Resources Curriculum Guidebook and Templates
- Earn digital badges and customize your degree with a Graduate Certificate for just two additional courses.
- Access to a global network of 50,000+ alumni
The coursework for the human resource management master’s program allows you to enhance your breadth and depth of knowledge while acquiring skills that apply to multiple industries. Saint Mary’s SHRM-aligned curriculum has a management focus, giving you the tools to lead teams in any environment.
Stackable Graduate Certificates
Share Your Success
Saint Mary’s supports your success by providing you with the tools necessary to not only achieve your professional goals but to share them with the world—especially the digital world.
As part of our commitment, Saint Mary’s offers an opportunity for you to be awarded digital badges. Digital badges are a graphic verification representing your achievement after completing a specific online course or program.
Applying for an online master's degree from Saint Mary's University of Minnesota is the first step in securing a sound and successful future. Our admission requirements help us learn more about you and how your goals align with the online HR master's program. We consider each part of the application as part of a holistic representation of your unique background.
- An undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- A minimum GPA of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale (If your overall GPA is below 2.75, you may receive provisional status in the program at the discretion of the MAHRM program director.)
- No prerequisite coursework is required for the online MAHRM other than the general requirements listed above
- A background in human resources is not required to be considered for admission. We welcome students who are interested in joining this growing field. You don’t need prior work experience or an HR-related bachelor’s degree to be accepted
GRE and GMAT scores are not required to apply.
You can transfer a maximum of six credits you’ve earned before admittance to Saint Mary’s. Transfer credits are subject to graduate school and program criteria, as well as the recommendation of the program director and approval by the dean. Work experience is not accepted as credit for this program.
Students entering the MAHRM program with either the SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources) certification or the SHRM-SCP (Society for Human Resource Management, Senior Certified Professional) certification do not need to take the HRM601 Human Resource Management Strategy course.
Certifications must be earned and current before the student’s admission into the MAHRM program. Students must request the waiver, provide documentation evidencing the date that the certification was earned, and provide their current certification standing. Students receiving the HRM601 waiver will take one more elective course in the program, keeping the 36 total credits requirement.
Students with transcripts from universities outside the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, and Canada (except for the Quebec Province) must take and pass English proficiency testing.
Saint Mary’s accepts:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 72
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum score of 6.0
- Michigan Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) with a minimum score of 74%
- International Test of English Proficiency (ITEP) with a minimum score of 4.0 or Pearson Test of English with a score of 51
- Duolingo with a minimum score of 100
Whether you apply through our online application, via hard copy, or in-person with a Saint Mary’s enrollment counselor, your application must include the following items:
- $25 non-refundable application fee: Note that Saint Mary’s alumni, students seeking readmission, veterans, and active military personnel are exempt from this application fee
- Official transcripts: An official transcript issued to Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota from the institution posting the applicant’s completed degree and other relevant transcripts documenting program prerequisites and potential transfer credits must be sent separately and directly from your institution. Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota accepts official transcripts electronically from previously attended institutions. Transcripts should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: Transcript Processing Center
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
851 Trafalgar Court, Suite 420
Maitland, FL 32751
- A written statement: As you prepare your written statement, consider your prior experience, your strengths, and the unique attributes that make you a great fit for the online MAHRM program and a career in human resource management. Share your career goals and why you seek admission to Saint Mary’s
- Two references: Please provide the names of two people (including title, organization, email, and phone number) who can serve as professional references, if needed, during the application review process. The best references are those who know you professionally, such as current or former supervisors
- An up-to-date résumé: Include both your educational and professional experience
Upcoming application deadlines for Saint Mary’s online MAHRM program:
- Spring: December 18, 2023
- Summer: April 22, 2024
- Fall: August 20, 2024
Upcoming start dates for Saint Mary’s online MAHRM program:
- Spring: January 8, 2024
- Summer: May 6, 2024
- Fall: September 3, 2024
Once you’ve submitted your application, expect to be notified about acceptance approximately two weeks after your submission date.
Tuition & Fees
A college education is invaluable. You can take it wherever you want to go or as far as you want to go. The cost of quality education should not get in the way of reaching your goals. Here at Saint Mary’s, we are committed to providing a quality education that is accessible and affordable.
Explore cost breakdowns for tuition and other fees of the HR Management program.
Careers & Salary
Saint Mary's online master's degree program in human resource management can help you take your passion to the next level. As a strategic organizational thinker, you can facilitate success within your company by being the link between management and employees. You'll empower colleagues to use their full potential while you pursue your own in a myriad of career options:
Human Resources Specialists$64,2401
Compensation, Benefits, and Job Analysis Specialists$67,7802
Human Resources Managers$130,0003
Compensation and Benefits Managers$131,2804
What You'll Learn
As a graduate of this program, you will be able to:
- Analyze the role of human resources in supporting an organizational strategy
- Develop interdepartmental relationships to further strategic leadership goals
- Evaluate human resource programs in key functional areas
- Create systems for talent management in partnership with organizational leaders
- Collect and interpret data for organizational assessment
- Model and teach effective, cross-cultural competence
- Demonstrate critical-thinking skills
- Incorporate ethical and legal perspectives into all human resource activities
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need experience in human resources to be admitted?
No, a background in human resources is not required to be considered for admission. We welcome students who are interested in joining this growing field.
Will I receive SHRM certification when I graduate?
No. SHRM certification is not automatically conferred upon your graduation. However, the Master’s in Human Resource Management is aligned with SHRM’s core knowledge areas, so it serves as a foundation for certification if you decide to pursue it. In addition, the Capstone course in the program is designed to help students prepare for both HRCI and SHRM certification exams.
What will my classmates be like?
The age range among students is wide, from recent college graduates to individuals in their 50s. Some students have worked in HR for a few years; others are interested in making a career change. Part of the online experience includes learning from peers with different perspectives. As long as you are committed to the program, you will fit in no matter your background.
What are the admissions requirements for the program?
You must have earned an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution, where you maintained an overall GPA of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale, and be able to demonstrate language proficiency.
How long will it take me to graduate?
To earn your degree, you will complete 12 graduate-level classes equaling 36 credit hours of program work. You can complete the 12 classes at your own pace. With one course per 8-week term, you will complete your course work in two years. If you would like to go more quickly, you can take up to two courses per term and complete the program in one year.
Can this program help me get an HR position?
This program is ideal for students transitioning into the HR field because it helps create a professional portfolio you can share with prospective employers.
Can I use what I am learning in the classroom in my current position?
Assignments are designed to help students become strategic business partners within their organizations.
Is this program accredited?
Saint Mary’s University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. In addition, the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) certifies that coursework in the online master’s in Human Resource Management program is aligned with SHRM’s core knowledge areas.
Who are the instructors in the program?
Instructors who teach the online MA in Human Resource Management are currently working in the field so that they can offer you a current picture of issues, challenges, and developments facing human resource managers today. What you will learn isn’t limited to the classroom — they are also available for extra support and guidance whenever you need it.
How do the university’s Lasallian Catholic values impact the curriculum? Do I have to be Catholic to apply?
Saint Mary’s programs are open to individuals of all faiths and beliefs. As an HR professional, you have a zeal for helping employees work more effectively and improving organizational performance. At Saint Mary’s, we imbue our programs with that same enthusiasm and a passion for service to the community. We believe that our graduates can help make the world a better place through their expertise, professional and personal fulfillment, and ethical leadership.
Is there a residency requirement? How do online classes work?
No. Coursework is completely online and is asynchronous, meaning you do not have to be online at a certain time on a certain day. As long as you complete your assignments according to the schedule set by your instructor, you can log in whenever it is convenient for you.
I already have my SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources) or SHRM-SCP (Society for Human Resource Management-Senior Certified Professional) certification. Do I need to take the HRM 601 (Human Resource Management Strategy) course?
Students entering the MAHRM program with either the SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources) certification or the SHRM-SCP (Society for Human Resource Management, Senior Certified Professional) certification do not need to take the HRM 601 Human Resource Management Strategy course. Certifications must be earned and current before the student’s admission into the MAHRM program.
How are faculty selected for this program?
The human resource management program director selects faculty based on previous online teaching and industry experience. The faculty members currently work in the human resource industry so they can offer you the most relevant industry perspective and knowledge. The faculty encompasses an extensive wealth of human resource knowledge, educating you on current issues, challenges, and developments faced by human resource professionals today.
Sources & Disclaimers
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, “Human Resources Specialists.” Retrieved September 6, 2023, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/human-resources-specialists.htm.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, “Compensation, Benefits, and Job Analysis Specialists.” Retrieved September 6, 2023, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/compensation-benefits-and-job-analysis-specialists.htm.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, “Human Resources Managers.” Retrieved September 6, 2023, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/human-resources-managers.htm.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, “Compensation and Benefits Managers.” Retrieved September 6, 2023, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/compensation-and-benefits-managers.htm.
*Complete the program at your own pace in 12-24 months.