Join the Saint Mary’s community in an art contest raising awareness for sexual assault and its prevention on our campuses. All are welcome to submit!
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). The goal of SAAM is for individuals and organizations to raise public awareness about sexual harassment, assault, and abuse and educate communities on how to prevent it. This year, SAAM is celebrating its 19th anniversary with the theme “I Ask.” All submissions must address sexual assault (awareness and/or prevention) and should tie into this year’s SAAM theme: “I Ask.”
You may use any medium you choose: Poem, short story, essay, painting, drawing, sculpture, song, dance, skit, etc. Or download a coloring sheet and send it in.
All submissions are due by Friday, April 17, at 4 p.m. (CST).
- Does the submitted artwork fit the theme of the competition?
- Is there a creative interpretation of the subject/theme?
- Is the originality of the work interesting?
- Is there overall quality and command of the medium being used?
- Does the work impact the viewer in relationship to the theme?
- Does the work stand on its own as a complete and outstanding creative image?
The composition and design of the work are also judging criteria. Pieces will be judged by selected faculty and staff.
Work must be original and appropriate
No artwork needs to be shipped as this will be an online exhibit. You must be the creator of the art and image file you submit to the competition. Your art must be your own original concept and not a copy of anyone else’s copyrighted material. If your image infringes upon another’s copyright, it will be disqualified. Upon submission of your work to this competition, you are solely responsible for any infringement on copyrighted materials.
We reserve the right to refuse any submissions that are potentially offensive, insensitive, or inappropriate in nature and that are inconsistent with our institutional values.
- Sign up and submit via Google form. Please be sure your entry does not exceed 1 GB in file size. If it does, contact Jodi Payne at firstname.lastname@example.org to troubleshoot. By initialing at the end of the form, you agree to submit an original piece of work, to allow Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota to post/display the work electronically, and to abide by the contest’s rules.
- In the upload form, fill out the information about the artwork you are submitting and select your image/file, then click the “Upload” button. All submissions are due by Friday, April 17, at 4 p.m. (CST). If you would like to submit multiple submissions, you must submit every piece through the form. No more than three submissions per person will be accepted.
- Agree to preserve/keep pieces for the potential use/display by Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota.
Why should you participate
During this time of uncertainty and distance, we hope to bring students together through expression and solidarity. While we may not be able to honor SAAM together on campus, we aim to still show our support for the Saint Mary’s community, as well as survivors everywhere. No piece of art is too minuscule, and we plan to send out a virtual exhibit with the judged artwork showcased.
Winners and art showcase
Artwork will be displayed at the end of the month in a CommUNITY newsletter, and winners will be invited to share their pieces via Zoom. Our hope is that the winner’s art will be displayed on campus next year. Happy art making!