Prepare for Your K–12 Reading Teacher License
Are you looking to help students who are stuck in one place with their literacy skills? This program will help you improve students' foundational literacy skills across all content areas.
If you are a licensed educator, you can enroll in our 17 credit (seven courses) Graduate Certificate in K–12 Reading Teacher program. This program will prepare you for the K–12 Reading license in Minnesota or the 316 Reading Teacher license in Wisconsin. Once you have finished the licensure preparation, you have the option to continue on to complete 18 additional credits (seven online courses) to earn a Master of Arts in Education.
*Minnesota or Wisconsin reading teacher licensure only. This program is not intended or designed to lead to licensure in any other state or U.S. territory.
What You'll Gain
Consistent with the mission of Saint Mary's University of Minnesota and requirements for licensure as a reading teacher in Minnesota or Wisconsin, the K–12 Reading program expects its graduates to be able to do the following:
- Understand the reading process and the process of learning to read, and design developmentally appropriate instruction that advances students' reading proficiency and encourages them to read
- Understand how to assess the reading development of individual students and groups of students, how to use assessment data to design appropriate reading curriculum and instruction based on the assessment data, and how to communicate this information to relevant audiences
Know how to integrate knowledge of reading with the teacher's understanding of pedagogy, students, learning, classroom management, and professional and instructional development and leadership
After six of Tatanka's teachers finished coursework at Saint Mary's in literacy education, they can now use the same terminology and strategies to help readers improve from one grade to the next.
Program graduates and their students talk about the changes they saw in the year following the completion of the program.
From Start to Finish
- Prepare for your K–12 Reading license in as little as 18 months (approximately four semesters).
- Courses are conveniently offered, on average, one Saturday a month.
- Complete the M.A. in Education plus the K–12 Reading license preparation in two and a half years.
Preparation for the K–12 Reading license is offered at our Twin Cities location and regional cohorts in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Upon completion of the licensure preparation, you may continue on to finish the online M.A. in Education.